PDA

View Full Version : Recovery from power failure

markwill
10-09-2005, 02:20 PM
I've pretty much decided to go for a whole house generator, not just for the benefit of my fish bu that's what put me over the edge in deciding this. Hopefully that will be up and running in a few weeks. However, I coincidentally just had a breaker go on me which alerted me to another potential problem.

It took me a few mins to locate which breaker had flipped. On flipping it back I noticed that the AquaClear on my smaller tank was chugging away but not pulling/feeding water. The main chamber had a small amount of water at the bottom so I don't think any damage was done but the significant problem here is that it needed a manual restart. Now THAT'S a problem...

If I am going to pay a whole bunch of money for a generator that had an automatic transfder switch (after a 30 second - 1 minute delay, configurable) it would be a REAL bummer to find that, if I am away for a week or two, my filter doesn't recover correctly and I still get back to an unfiltered tank (and potentially dead fish).

I've been back and forth on this. I REALLY want to avoid the sponge/air pump approach (I think they look pretty ugly and this is for a show tank). But if my AquaClear needs a manual restart that kinda defeats the whole purpose. In the past I have temporary replugged an AquaClear and had it restart just fine.

Thoughts?

Mark

Carol_Roberts
10-09-2005, 07:54 PM
When is the last time you clean out the aqua clear? Pull the impellor and wipe it off. Make sure the intake tube is properly seated over the impellor. I lose powere several time every year and the aqua clears start right back up.

Also check to see the filter is level . . .

Anonapersona
10-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Add a second filter, maybe a HOT250. It is not that noticable and it will always restart. If the AC goes out and does not restart, it will burn out the motor I suspect. OTOH, you might test and see if it does not restart with rapid resumption of power, it may be that the unit requires a few minutes to drain that line and lose prime.