PDA

View Full Version : netting fish

cobaltblue
10-10-2005, 02:50 AM
can anyone suggest ways of netting discus in a larger tank. I am trying to net a juvie to move to quarantine tank out of my 90g planted tank. He\she is so fast i cannot catch it with my net. I would end up destroying my plants in the process. Is there an easier way that is not so hard on the fish...they are really stressed out when i am in there with the net.

Clabbe
10-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Use 2 nets, one from each side.

rayw
10-10-2005, 01:15 PM
You can try lowering the water level. Perhaps even during a water change. I find them easier to catch when there's less water in the tank.

Alight
10-10-2005, 02:19 PM
My discus are very easy to net, as they associate me coming to the tank with food. I use a very large net and they seem to go into it quite happily. The only problem is the big splash they sometimes go through when I pull them out of the water.

Greg Richardson
10-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Yep. Use the 10" net and no problem.

That being said I only have two large sword potted plants in one 55 to deal with.
And 5 baby swords potted in the other tank.

Ever since I got the big net though that really made it easy for me.

Smaller nets allow to much advantage to the fish.

Carol_Roberts
10-10-2005, 04:36 PM
They are easier to catch first thing in the morning when the lights have been off all night. Otherwise lower water level 50% or more. Pull all decorations from tank to make job easier and safer for the discus.