PDA

View Full Version : asian discus

cleaver
10-10-2005, 04:47 PM
I BOUGHT SOME DISCUS OFF THE WEB FROM ASIA THEY GOT HERE 1 MONTH LATER I RECEIVED THEM FRIDAY 6 1 DEAD 5 ALIVE THEY WERE PACKAGED SEPERTLY I PUT THEM IN A 55 WITH 4 OTHER DISCUS 3 INCH NOW MY AMERICAN DISCUS ARE SWIMING SIDEWAYS AND IN FAST CIRCLES ALSO SOMEONE TOLD ME I NEED TO DEWORM MY DISCUS CAN ANY BODY TELL ME WHAT TO BUY TO DO THAT ALSO ANY IDEAS ON MY OTHER FISH WOULD BE APRICIATED

Carol_Roberts
10-10-2005, 04:58 PM
If you put the 5 suvivors directly in with your old discus you can expect some or all of the fish to get sick. Newly shipped fish should always be placed in a quarantine tank to give them a chance to recover from shipping and to exhibit any disease the stress from shipping may bring out.

New fish from Asia could carry many types of pathogens. Your own American discus could also harbor pathogens the Asian discus have no immunity to.

Unfortunately you have already mixed all the fish together . . . I would not use a formalin based product in case the new discus have injuries from shipping. . . . start with large, daily water changes and salt, raise temp. to 88-90. Purchase Furan II, but watch out it may kill your biofilter . . .
Good luck . . .

jim_shedden
10-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Wow...........this is a hard one. Normal procedure calls for any new fish to be quaranteened for 6 weeks. IMHO everthing coming out of Asia has some sort of bug that our North American have problems with. Obviously, its too late to quaranteen now. I would however, start with 2 tablespoons of non iodized salt per 10 gallons.
Someone else with more experience with the Asian fish such as Carry Strong or the like might be able to take it from there.
Good luck & hope it works out.

Jim

Westie
10-10-2005, 05:24 PM
I would feel lucky. 1 out of 6 isn't bad at all. They will need time to become acclimated. I'm sure its to late to tell you to leave them in a dark tank since they were shipped in the dark for a while. Don't let to many people scare you, Discus are tough fish. Everything else ok? Water, temp.? Keep an eye on them, take some pics in a day or so to show us and, enjoy!;)

grelot
10-11-2005, 07:38 PM
I dont think 1 out of 6 dead is not bad. A friend of mine received around 60 discus from asia (Roy) and he had 1 dead out of those 60. THAT is not bad.