PDA

View Full Version : How often to change filter ...?

Kindredspirit
10-11-2005, 03:11 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_18.gif

I have so forgotten how often we should change our filter media? If at all...and the bio bag that the media is in is really funky. I know that is a good thing, but shouldnt i like change that once in a while? I have a Magnum too, and the long filter cartridge in that, how often should i rinse that? I have had the Magnum for about a month, and i have never even opened it! oops..

thanks,

AADiscus
10-11-2005, 08:20 PM
For starters.......I wouldn't use filter media. I would just use it if you were trying to take med's out of the tank.

You can use the filter part without the carbon media stuff but make sure you rinse them once a day to get the build up off them. (don't use hot water, use luke warm water)

Kindredspirit
10-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Angela~

You are so confusing me, cuz I was told to go and buy the some media filter, and put it into the bio-bags...when i first set everything up. This was like three months ago, i thing...I was using carbon, and i was told to use a media filter...and that is what i have in my filters....

So.........what do i put into that bio-bags? I have sponges in there too, next to them... I have never ever had a problem with my four discus, should i really change now?

I have a 30gal tank...with a magnum and a penguin bio 150..and in my hospital tank i have i have the same media filter...i have oodles of that shyt, Angela! :( and many bio-bags...

Do you want me to put only sponges in my filter and no media filter and bags??

I thought i had this down.....

Marie~

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_8.gif

Dood Lee
10-12-2005, 12:08 AM
What exactly is this "media" you are talking about? Filter media is too broad a term, its basically anything you put in the filter. Carbon should only be used to remove meds or harmful contaminants in your water.

jdellman
10-12-2005, 12:44 AM
You should change the Magnum more often. I have the HOT Magnum, and I assume they are similar, and I change the micron filter every two or three days. When it goes longer than that it gets very dirty. You should buy a couple extra micron filters, and exchange them when you rinse out the filter. Once they get too dirty, you can follow the directions and use bleach to clean them. Make sure you rinse the bleach out well.

Kindredspirit
10-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Dood~ I use Aqua Clear, Filter Insert....they are little white stones...I dont use carbon anymore.... and i put them into a bio bag...I wish i could find that post i was told to do that! and i also have a sponge in there as well, next to it~

JD~ I have the HOT Magnum too...i have the long micron filter in there as well..that IS the micron filter, yes? Now at first you say you replace that every 2-3 days, then you say you change them when you rinse out the filter, and use bleach on them? But why would i do that, if i am changing them every two or three days?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif

*******....also, Jd, how often do you rinse out your filter?

Thanks guys!!! My tank has been perfect for months, now , with the exception of cloudiness i couldnt shake, that is the reason i got the Magnum...now it is great!

So...please help me fix my filter problems okay?? I didnt think i had any but I am so new to this, and only have had my four discus for about four months... let me have it, guys....please tell me what you put in your filters....I will fix it.... (til the next post tells me NOT to use what YOU are gonna tell me to use...lol)

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_6_109.gif

Dave C
10-12-2005, 07:59 AM
With a Magnum the micron filter is not "filter media" as in biological media. It's purely a mechanical filter. So change it when the water flow is noticeably less. That usually takes less then a week. And when you swap the micron filter for another you must clean the dirty one, usually in a bucket of water with bleach.

As for the media in your Aquaclear, I'd rinse that out in tank water once a week. Do it when you do a w/c. Just fill a bucket, put the media into it and siphon some tank water in the bucket & clean the media. The bag will get dirty but should come relatively clean in tank water. Then replace in your filter & continue with the water change. I never "change" the media in an Aquaclear, just clean it.

Kindredspirit
10-12-2005, 11:56 AM
With a Magnum the micron filter is not "filter media" as in biological media. It's purely a mechanical filter. So change it when the water flow is noticeably less. That usually takes less then a week. And when you swap the micron filter for another you must clean the dirty one, usually in a bucket of water with bleach.

As for the media in your Aquaclear, I'd rinse that out in tank water once a week. Do it when you do a w/c. Just fill a bucket, put the media into it and siphon some tank water in the bucket & clean the media. The bag will get dirty but should come relatively clean in tank water. Then replace in your filter & continue with the water change. I never "change" the media in an Aquaclear, just clean it.

Dave~

Thanks for replying...as i am off to Pets Mart..okay...I totally understand about the Aquaclear...finally!....but the Magnum..you say to change it when the water flow is noticeable less...How would i know that cuz itz under the water...the tube that water comes out of...but you say to change it, at any rate..you said to swap the old for a new filter, you said to clean the old one cuz itz dirty...BUT if i am putting a new one in there, why would i clean the old one???

Or am i just missing something here???

And i have been doing exactly what you said for the Aquaclear...thank God! I remember you helped me last time i think....I do have that one down....

Let me know about the Magnum now...Once you give me your answer i am so not going there again....I will do what you said! lol...

Marie!

Kindredspirit
10-12-2005, 11:59 AM
I think i got it Dave!

Oh.. hell.... maybe not...could you please just clarify that for me? Im thinking you mean since i am cleaning one micron filter, put the new one in while i am cleaning the old one???

*******~

:o

RiverCitiDiscusII
10-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Hello Marie, what Dave is trying to tell you is that the Micron Filter is reuseable! So, when you clean your filter, you'll take out the dirty Micron Filter and replace it with a new one. The dirty Micron filter then can be cleaned using water in a bucket with alittle bleach. Then when you go to clean your filter at a later date, you'll already have another clean Micron Filter to replace with the dirty one. Marie, you'll just keep switching out Micron Filter each time you clean your filter. I hope this helps you out? Take care......Al (RiverCitiDiscusII)
Oh yes, Marie, don't forget to rinse out the Micron Filter after you've cleaned it with water and bleach, and let it air dry> This way you'll have it aleady for you next filter change.

Kindredspirit
10-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Al~

I KNEW that....I did...honest! Thank you Al!! I got it!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_123v.gif

Marie~

Dood Lee
10-12-2005, 04:58 PM
IMO, the micron filter is good if you need to get rid of really tiny particles in your water. For regular use, it really isn't that useful (or necessary for that matter) since you have to clean them often. I would suggest using the media container (the black basket thing covered by the blue pad) and stuffing it with filter floss - the fine white stuff that you can get at the lfs. You can run your H.O.T. magnum for about a week or two before needing to change out the stuff. The blue pad can be rinsed, and the white floss stuff is just thrown out and replaced.

BTW, Aquaclear has two "filter inserts" that are composed of "white stones." One is used to removie ammonia, they look like little white gravel bits in a bag. The other is called "bio-max" and look like cylindrical stones in a bag. You want the bio-max.

Kindredspirit
10-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Dood~

Thanks for all your help...yes I have the box sitting right here...i was afraid to look at it! But it does say Bio Max...

Okay, so Dood, i wondered what i would use that other filter that came with the Magnum...So, i will take out the Micron filter and use it when i want to take out tiny particles...i will buy filter floss...Is that the correct name of it?? and stuff it in...i like that idea better, seems easier..i will buy a lot and replace weekly~ and just rinse the the blue pad~

Thank you so much!!

Marie!:angel:

Dave C
10-12-2005, 05:50 PM
In my opinion the Magnum is pretty useless for anything but water polishing. It doesn't hold much media and if you have an Aquaclear you probably don't need more biological media. So I'd stick with the micron filter and let it polish your water. Some may think it's unnecessary but I've never heard anyone complain that their tank is too clean. Mine run 24/7 on my tanks and they are sparkling clean.

Kindredspirit
10-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Dave,~

That was what i bought it for in the first place, Dave....and it never has been so clear!

decisions decisons....http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_112.gif

Thanks, Dave!

Marie~

Dood Lee
10-12-2005, 08:34 PM
I guess it depends on how "clear" you want your water to be. The upside of the micron filter is that it filters out even the tiniest of particles. The downside of course is that the micron cartridges can get clogged really fast. Back when I was still using the magnum, the micron cartridge didn't last for a full week. Buying a second cartridge works wonders, because as described above, you can clean one while using the other, then switch off.

The reason I like using the media basket with filter floss is that the very fine filter floss can get particles out of the water just as well as the micron cartridge. Obivously, it won't get out those really tiny ones, but for me, it was just fine. The basket full of floss lasted almost a month for me, although afterwards I began to change it out every 2 weeks just to be on the safe side.

Dave C
10-13-2005, 11:14 AM
I use the micron filter because it is an awesome mechanical filter. It clogs in about 3-7 days depending on the tank. But because it does such a great job I don't have to vacuum the tank bottoms. That saves me a good 5 minutes per tank per w/c. So to spend about 5 minutes twice a week to swap filters is a good tradeoff in my opinion. And if I could run the filter for a full month without cleaning it I wouldn't. That would just mean that the crap on the bottom of my tank was sitting in my filter for a full month, rather then being removed from the system entirely. So while my tank would look clean I doubt that the water column would benefit from having the water being forced through a dirty filter for a month at a time. It makes sense to me to let a biological filter go for a month between cleaning because I have mechanical filters in front of the bio, so crap shouldn't be collecting on the bio. But to leave a mechanical that long doesn't make sense. It's like a prefilter on an Aquaclear... you have to clean it pretty often but you can get away with leaving the AC media for much longer.

Dood Lee
10-13-2005, 12:43 PM
I only said that you could leave the basket in for a month, I didn't say that you should. Again, the whole setup depends on how "clean" someone wants the water to be. The micron filter is an awesome mech fiter, I agree. But, IMO, it is completely overkill for a system where someone does daily water changes. Hell, the only reason I used the magnum micron filter was to get rid of green water algae, and those things are microscopic. The benefit of using the media basket stuffed with floss is that the magnum can run continuously much longer (1-2 weeks or more) when operated in a tank with daily water changes.

Dave C
10-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Let me try it this way... if your tank is so clean from daily w/c (which I don't do btw) then the micron filter should not get clogged fast. If it does get clogged fast then it's apparently removing stuff from the tank regardless of your w/c. Which it does do. If the filter is properly sized for the tank it will cause most of the uneaten food & crap from the tank bottom to flow around the tank and be sucked up by the filter. The longest I'm willing to leave that kind of stuff in my tank is 3-4 days. Therefore the longest I would be willing to leave it in my filter (which is no different then leaving it in the tank) is 3-4 days. So the timing of when my filter needs to be changed works out pretty good with my desire to remove this stuff from the tank. I change water in my tanks twice a week and replace the micron filter at the same time. I do it then because it makes sense to me, not because the filter flow is too slow. I also clean any prefilters that are on my biological filters for the same reason. I want my tanks to be as clean as possible without me having to go nuts changing water daily, wiping tanks daily etc. So if running a micron instead of something else in the filter has the effect of making my tank water extra clean then I don't know why I wouldn't do it. And even more importantly, to me, if running a micron forces me to clean my filter frequently rather then letting it slide for a week or two then that's a good thing too. Of course we all do things differently and you're welcome to operate your filter however you choose. I'm merely offering an alternative and giving my logic for doing it that way. IMO daily w/c are complete overkill, but maybe that's because I run a micron filter on my tanks 24/7.

Kindredspirit
10-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Okay Guys I thank you both very much for your opinions on this....And i think i have it now~

Itz good to know I can go either way.....

SO....thanks again!

You all have great tanks i am sure and different ways of achieving that and your way works best for you~and now i have both of your ways...

Sooooooooooooo.....Kiss and Make Up??

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_61.gif

Marie~

AADiscus
10-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Glad everything is working for you know. :)

Kindredspirit
10-14-2005, 02:19 AM
Thanks, Angela!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_35_1.gif

Marie~

Mughal
10-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Buy an EHEIM and an Emporer; or do the following:

1. Shut down system and remove Canister.

2. Change media:CARBON/MEDIA CONTAINER

Remove media and rinse container thoroughly. Refill containerwith Black Diamond Activated Carbon and rinse carbon thoroughly. Rinse or replace Rite-Size Sleeve.

MICRON CARTRIDGE

Remove and clean Cartridge – never brush or machine wash.

Rinse off all visible dirt. Mix a solution of one part chlorine bleach to three parts water.

Immerse cartridge completely in solution and soak overnight.

Rinse thoroughly until chlorine smell disappears.For Best Results...Purchase a second Micron Cartridge for alternate use whileoriginal Cartridge soaks and dries thoroughly.

3. Clean Air Ejector Tube with nylon cleaning wand provided (Figure 16).

4. Clean Canister thoroughly, especially Sump area.

5. Clean Impeller Module (gently squeeze sides to pop open).

6. Clean Impeller Assembly and inspect for wear and smooth rotation.If excess wear is noted, replace worn parts immediately.

7. Gently clean flat Exhaust Gaskets with warm water only.

8. Wash D-Ring Seating Area on Canister and Cover. Wet D-Ringbefore installing.

9. Reassemble system and return to operation as previously instructed

Kindredspirit
10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Thank you Mugal!

I tell ya, i am going to have the best darn filters in Cali at this rate!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_6_109.gif

M~

Mughal
10-19-2005, 10:52 PM
LOL--->You should just donate the Magnum to the waste container nearest you, if you can't find a handy waste receptacle, just throw it in the street.

Then go get in your car, go to Petsmart/Petco/or any other reputable aquarium salesperson and buy an EHEIM.

Kindredspirit
10-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Mughal~

Now that is what someone told me to do with my Penguin! That is why i have the HOT Magnum, Mughal and now you say to go get the EHEIM??

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_62.gif

Wait....let me go into my back yard and get some cash off my money tree first~

But now my tank is crystal clear and perfect can't i just keep what i have?? You are trippin but i thank you anyways!! I am sure you know of what you speak but......

Marie!

Mughal
10-19-2005, 11:59 PM
If its doing the job great then you're set. When it breaks buy an Eheim. I was joking about that other stuff.

Kindredspirit
10-20-2005, 02:27 AM
I knew you were joking! And when it breaks you, Mughal, will be the first to know to send me on the right path!

Marie!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_12_10.gif

Dood Lee
10-20-2005, 03:45 AM
My opinion - an Eheim isn't worth the money for anything smaller than a 40 gallon tank. Eheim canisters are the best canisters you can buy, they are efficient and reliable. I knew a hobbyist who had his for 20 years, and it still performs like it was brand new. However, eheim canisters are extremely pricey, and for the money, there are other filters out there that can get the job done just as good as an eheim. The H.O.T. magnum is pretty decent, and it will get the job done.

Kindredspirit
10-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Good to hear, Dood!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_205.gif