PDA

View Full Version : Type of Filter: Poll

hunboy
10-14-2005, 06:30 PM
If any of the mods read this, sorry but I couldn't find how to make a poll on here....

Folks...

Who here uses either:

a:- An RO unit

b:- An HMA unit

c:- Good ol' carbon

or

d:- nothing at all?

I'm interested in this I help design oil filtration units similar to 3 Stage RO units
as a living, when I'm not surfing the net that is, and know a bit insider knowledge bout the 'end all and be all' of aquatics filtration system (had to hold my laughter in there.). Once the poll is conducted or I've enough info from you, I'll let you know some 'trade secrets' that RO manufacturers don't wont you to know...which is a bit like you ham shanks and Area 51.......:angel:

Willied

Carol_Roberts
10-15-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't see how to make a poll either?

I use an RO

David_Hui
10-15-2005, 06:45 PM
I stop using RO about a year ago and I would like to know the secret.

ronrca
10-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Depending on what Im doing. Raising discus, just bio and mechanical. Breeding discus, RO!

Cosmo
10-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Ok,

You got your poll :D First one I've ever done, so bear with me. Not sure what an HMA is (at the risk of sounding ignorant :p )

I use RO, wet/dry, cannisters, and.. should have put this in... sponges :mad: If I can add that I will :(

Bio primarily with some mechanical

Jim

Condor
10-16-2005, 08:25 PM
D nothing at all :)

Fons_van_der_Hart
10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't think R.O. belongs in this list.

A filter for cleaning the water like a cannister is something completly different than a R.O. system.

Fons.

Cosmo
10-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Hello Fons, Long time since I've seen you around :)

You have a valid point, RO is often mixed into discussions on filtration but is really a water purification system rather than an aquarium filtration system.

An important distinction - thanks for pointing that out :)

Jim

It was on the original post's list though :o

ronrca
10-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Good point but perhaps depends on perspective. A filters main purpose is to clean water. RO definitely cleans water. LOL!

Anyhow, one does not use a RO filter on a tank like a canister or HOB. Perhaps another poll should be created to ask how many use RO for discus or have a RO filter, discus or personal.

David_Hui
10-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Where is the guy who started this thread???

Cosmo
10-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Good question David :)

For my part, it was the first poll I ever created, and I did get somewhat carried away on the number of options :o Looking back, I think this could have actually been broken into three polls lol

RO / Tap / Mix
Cannister / HOB / Sponge / etc
Bio / Mechanical / Chemical

Oh well, live and learn as they say ;)

Jim