PDA

View Full Version : White eggs (but not all)

markwill
10-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Well, my first batch of eggs are pretty much turned white now (they were laid 2 1/2 days ago having been guarded very well). I can't say I am completely surprised but I'd like to understand this a little better so that I can increase the chances of success later on.

It is interesting to me that a) it took 2 1/2 days for many of the eggs to turn white and b) I had a small number (4 or 5) that started turning dark, although they have gone (eaten?) this morning.

If I had bad water conditions, would that not have implied that the eggs would have gone white quicker? Put another way, if I am CLOSE to having good water conditions (but not quite where it needs to be) would that explain why the eggs didn't go white quickly. Also, does the fact that a small number started to turn dark (one in particular seemed well progressed) also indicate that I can't be a million miles off here.

Finally, after 2 1/2 days what does it mean when an egg isn't white but remains the color it initially was (that light brown color)? If they were not fertilized, wouldn't they have gone white earlier?

Looking for clues here...

Thanks.

Mark

Carol_Roberts
10-15-2005, 06:07 PM
When my discus lay eggs in my hard well water the batch of eggs all turn white at different rates over several days whether they have been fertilized or not. i don't know what controls the rate of color change.

american breeder
10-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Well, my first batch of eggs are pretty much turned white now (they were laid 2 1/2 days ago having been guarded very well). I can't say I am completely surprised but I'd like to understand this a little better so that I can increase the chances of success later on.

It is interesting to me that a) it took 2 1/2 days for many of the eggs to turn white and b) I had a small number (4 or 5) that started turning dark, although they have gone (eaten?) this morning.

If I had bad water conditions, would that not have implied that the eggs would have gone white quicker? Put another way, if I am CLOSE to having good water conditions (but not quite where it needs to be) would that explain why the eggs didn't go white quickly. Also, does the fact that a small number started to turn dark (one in particular seemed well progressed) also indicate that I can't be a million miles off here.

Finally, after 2 1/2 days what does it mean when an egg isn't white but remains the color it initially was (that light brown color)? If they were not fertilized, wouldn't they have gone white earlier?

Looking for clues here...

Thanks.

Mark
Hi Mark

what your situation is
is this

UNFERTILISED EGGS

the male is probably infertile

contrary to popular beliefs

this fungus stuff is a bit flakey

if the eggs are fertile certain protective enzymes are apparent
in the protetcive coating of the egg and
as long as water parameters are basically good
and the pair are fertile together
a high hatch rate maybe achieved without Methylene blue etc.simply in RO or better grade water

the few eggs that turned dark were probably fertile
i have a line of fish
where the males are almost worthless
incredibly great looking fish

but if female lays 200 eggs only ten will hatch

a real bother

Willie
10-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Mark;

Let's get some definitions here. What are your water conditions? What is you pH and your hardness? Good or bad water conditions are extremely vague terms. If we don't know your water chemistry, its not possible to give advice.

Willie

ValorG
10-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Im gonna borrow this thread because im having the same probs. well i dont think the eggs are fertile but 2 batches of 2 diff pairs are both turning white after a day or two. took 2 drops for my kh to change color and my ph is 7.0. ammonia is 0ppm. any reason y both of my males would not be fertilizing the eggs? i see breeding behavior from both of them but i dont see the males fertilizing the eggs. one pair is in a com tank and the male just chases the other fish away and the female has to kinda peck at him to come back. the other ones are in their own 20 gal. again any reason why the eggs arent hatching or y the males arent fertilizing them?

Willie
10-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Males mature 3 - 5 months later than females. Young males usually have no idea what's going on when females start to spawn. Have patience.

Wilie

ValorG
10-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Males mature 3 - 5 months later than females. Young males usually have no idea what's going on when females start to spawn. Have patience.

Wilie
They are both mature males one is 5-6 inches and the other is 7inches and one already had viable babies with the same female but i traded the female away and now i got her back he still pairs off with her but doesnt fert the eggs.