PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine, Cross-contamination

Dillan
10-16-2005, 12:59 AM
I just got some new fish and have them in a quarantine tank. I've been so concerned about new fish bringing anything into my brood, but now I'm concerned about the new fish catching an infection that seems to have broken out in my other tanks.

First 2 bettas in 2 separate tanks got serious infections and will prolly be dead in the morning. A couple of weeks ago a female in another tank got an infection and I had to flush her. These fish are completely separate from each other and from my two discus tanks. (Except that my hands and various tools go into all the tanks...)

Tonight I notice that my BD in my main discus tank has white fuzz in one of its gills and a white spot on its tail. I added salt and turned the heat up a bit. If there's no improvement in the morning, I'll go get something for it. Not too serious I hope, but a bit scary how this spreads to several tanks!

I took water and a filter from my main tank when I set up the quarantine/nursery tank, so the new babies have prolly been exposed. Better keep a close eye on them too I guess!

Ironic tho eh? To start out worried about fishing bringing stuff into the house, and then worry about what the house might give to them...

I still don't understand where these things come from in the first place! The first betta that got sick -- there hadn't been any new fish or anything for a month before that... sheesh.

jules
10-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi discusnut, I had a little scare lately too. I purchased some guppies and a beta, and every guppy died and the beta. Not sure if it was columnaris or costia, I don't have a microscope.
Apparently columnaris can be air borne and this tank was situated right beside one of the discus tanks. I made sure to follow proper hygiene and kept the ac's covered and have not had a problem. Gave up on the guppies.

Julie

Carol_Roberts
10-17-2005, 11:52 AM
I have my Qtank in a totally different room with it's own hoses, nets, etc. Wash hands between tanks.