PDA

View Full Version : TO BE OR NOT TO BE, IS THAT THE QUESTION

american breeder
10-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Many of the PMs and email are asking the same question from me, how do i do it.. How can i become a Discus Breeder. WEll here is my answer. You probably cant, a hobbyist haveing fun, u can ,u can do the DO with 11 tanks, one very large tank to hold adults 100gal, two breeding tanks of 20 gallon each to house the pairs while being conditioned and further SPAWNING, one nursery tank like Rod built,tanks, 2 2gal, 2 5gal, 3 30 gal......with this little setup u can produce hundreds if not thousands of fish every 2 months..

firstly your brood stock is ninety percent of the game..u must obtain better than normal brood stock in order to sell your fish easily..selling of the fish can become a major hassle and competition is steep....this is giant hurdle to get over, and why WESTERN BREEDERS in general have not done well. They have had to obtain almost all their brood stock from Asian sources. When Watley went to ASia with his fish, he made a big splash and sold thousands of them. In ASia he is considered to be the FATHER OF MODERN DISCUS..very respected and many ASian breeders got their first turq experience through Mr. Watley..I myself obtained directly from him a number of 4 inch fish which he did not readily sell me. I really paid a hi price as well 200usd a piece for them..But i was happy, i had the true WAtley fish and still do to this day. The only thing which is different from the original ones i got from him is this

THE NOSE ON WATLEYS FISH was pointed a bit, very aristocratic, i did not like it,, so i found some prodginy that had normal rounded faces and line bred those instead ..They grew massive..the Male at two years old was easily the size of a dinner plate, and the females were extra fat and large as well.

at that time i had 40 tanks
becuase i now had the REAL WATLEY TYPE
with full docs and everything
i could offer his name with the fish
and my sales increased greatly..

so one must have the latest fish for sale in most cases..

furthermore

a small discus installation like i offer here is very cheap to aquire and maintain..This Hobby can get very expensive real quick
and i am warning all of u kiddies dont waste your money on extensive systems etc for keeping of discus fish. that is the beauty of it..U can maintain them easily in a simple manner and poof u are now big shot discus breeder looking over your 11 tankls like they were the PONDEROSA.
Yes simple is best when it comes to Discus fish, or is that SIMPLY

good luck

David_Hui
10-17-2005, 01:35 AM
Marc,

I totally agree with you regarding for us, hobbyst, is very difficult to attain top of the line fish. However, I think the only to get them is still breed them out of our garage. This is because no one ever let their AAA fish out of their hand. Am I correct?

David

american breeder
10-17-2005, 02:16 AM
Marc,

I totally agree with you regarding for us, hobbyst, is very difficult to attain top of the line fish. However, I think the only to get them is still breed them out of our garage. This is because no one ever let their AAA fish out of their hand. Am I correct?

David
Hi David

AAA Grade fish are very hard for the hobbyist to come by
your average home breeder wont sell u his or her best fish
unless they have a surplus

at my hatchery i have what i call BREEDER SELECT
these are fish i am rearing for mine as well as other breeders who are clients and friends of mine

these fish are premium priced
and conform to all standards
of judgement

in each batch of lets say 200 fish
i may find 5 AAA grade fish
that doesnt mean to say the other 195 are culls far from it
it simply means that these 5 fish are the top

David call me
i have some info for u

okie dokie

David_Hui
10-17-2005, 03:11 AM
Marc,

I am glad you have made some of those fish for sale. Every hobbyst's dream is to have the perfect discus.

I left you a voice message last saturday and await you call back.

Thanks

David

Condor
10-17-2005, 06:15 AM
Many of the PMs and email are asking the same question from me, how do i do it.. How can i become a Discus Breeder. WEll here is my answer. You probably cant, a hobbyist haveing fun, u can ,u can do the DO with 11 tanks, one very large tank to hold adults 100gal, two breeding tanks of 20 gallon each to house the pairs while being conditioned and further SPAWNING, one nursery tank like Rod built,tanks, 2 2gal, 2 5gal, 3 30 gal......with this little setup u can produce hundreds if not thousands of fish every 2 months..

firstly your brood stock is ninety percent of the game..u must obtain better than normal brood stock in order to sell your fish easily..selling of the fish can become a major hassle and competition is steep....this is giant hurdle to get over, and why WESTERN BREEDERS in general have not done well. They have had to obtain almost all their brood stock from Asian sources. When Watley went to ASia with his fish, he made a big splash and sold thousands of them. In ASia he is considered to be the FATHER OF MODERN DISCUS..very respected and many ASian breeders got their first turq experience through Mr. Watley..I myself obtained directly from him a number of 4 inch fish which he did not readily sell me. I really paid a hi price as well 200usd a piece for them..But i was happy, i had the true WAtley fish and still do to this day. The only thing which is different from the original ones i got from him is this

THE NOSE ON WATLEYS FISH was pointed a bit, very aristocratic, i did not like it,, so i found some prodginy that had normal rounded faces and line bred those instead ..They grew massive..the Male at two years old was easily the size of a dinner plate, and the females were extra fat and large as well.

at that time i had 40 tanks
becuase i now had the REAL WATLEY TYPE
with full docs and everything
i could offer his name with the fish
and my sales increased greatly..

so one must have the latest fish for sale in most cases..

furthermore

a small discus installation like i offer here is very cheap to aquire and maintain..This Hobby can get very expensive real quick
and i am warning all of u kiddies dont waste your money on extensive systems etc for keeping of discus fish. that is the beauty of it..U can maintain them easily in a simple manner and poof u are now big shot discus breeder looking over your 11 tankls like they were the PONDEROSA.
Yes simple is best when it comes to Discus fish, or is that SIMPLY

good luck

Do you recomend a central filtration/heating systems for a setup like this or individual?

american breeder
10-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Do you recomend a central filtration/heating systems for a setup like this or individual?
individual everything