PDA

View Full Version : Hydor heaters

Condor
10-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Anybody ever try these heaters? Heard that they were pretty good.

Dood Lee
10-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Which ones? The hydor theos are the submersible kind of heaters, like ebo jagers and such. The hydor eth are inline heaters that hook up externally (like on the return line of a canister filter or sump). I have the eth hooked up to my canister, and it works flawlessly.

Condor
10-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks Dood Lee. The one I was looking at was an All Glass Aquarium submersible heater (200 watt) thats made by Hydor.

tpl*co
10-16-2005, 10:45 PM
I had trouble with my Hydor submersible sticking :(. Wasn't happy with stuff I got from Hydor. I like Stealth.

April
10-17-2005, 01:06 AM
i got one ..and its staying stuck on the wall..unlike ebo suctions who have a lifespan of 5 minutes.
never had a problem with my hydor yet. id defiinitely get more. two thumbs up.

Condor
10-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the input

cowboy steve
10-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Which ones? The hydor theos are the submersible kind of heaters, like ebo jagers and such. The hydor eth are inline heaters that hook up externally (like on the return line of a canister filter or sump). I have the eth hooked up to my canister, and it works flawlessly.

Another thumbs up for the E.T.H, works great, less clutter in the tank.

Condor
10-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks Steve. I burned out my won bros heater doing a wc last night. Left it plugged in.........:D Anyways I have that 200 watt all glass heater in there right now(basicly a theo) but it is not big enough long term (75 gal). How much do those ETH heaters normally run for? I run a fluval so that would be perfect.

Adrian

cowboy steve
10-19-2005, 01:42 PM
I got mine at Fosters and Smiths, they have them on sale.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11369&N=2004+113767

I e-mailed Hydor prior to buying, the 300 watt model works best at a max. of 250 g.p.h.

Condor
10-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks Steve!

Dood Lee
10-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks Steve. I burned out my won bros heater doing a wc last night. Left it plugged in.........:D Anyways I have that 200 watt all glass heater in there right now(basicly a theo) but it is not big enough long term (75 gal). How much do those ETH heaters normally run for? I run a fluval so that would be perfect.

Adrian

A warning about the eths - the connect fine to many canisters and such because of the vinyl tubing. But I seem to remember that fluvals have a different kind of tubing than what most canisters use. Try to find out if they are compatible with the eths.

Condor
10-20-2005, 07:21 AM
A warning about the eths - the connect fine to many canisters and such because of the vinyl tubing. But I seem to remember that fluvals have a different kind of tubing than what most canisters use. Try to find out if they are compatible with the eths.

Good point-fluvals have ribbed plastic tubing as opposed to the smooth rubber/vinyl.....

cowboy steve
10-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Good point-fluvals have ribbed plastic tubing as opposed to the smooth rubber/vinyl.....

I run mine on a H.O.T Magnum, which also has rigid lines, I just bridged it with the the clear vinyl tubing.

Dood Lee
10-20-2005, 12:43 PM
I run mine on a H.O.T Magnum, which also has rigid lines, I just bridged it with the the clear vinyl tubing.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Make sure you get the right eths, there are two sizes for the inputs that correspond to the diameter of your tubing.

cowboy steve
10-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Pretty much what I was thinking. Make sure you get the right eths, there are two sizes for the inputs that correspond to the diameter of your tubing.

I bought the 300 watt, 5/8 tubing, I also used elbows so I could leave the filter hanging on the tank and not have to mess with re-plubing the intake.

Most canisters you can simply interrupt the return on the way up to the tank, and install it inline.

Condor
10-20-2005, 03:21 PM
maybe I should have posted this in the diy section :D

Condor
10-20-2005, 03:23 PM
One more question, as I have been debating between the types of heaters (eth sounds best, but hear me out) Would a 400 watt submersible be too much for a 75 gallon? I am thinking on the lines of conserving electricity and so forth, vs cost of heater and setup. ETH would be more expensive, but a good 300 watt unit may be worth it in the long run, where as a 400 watt submersible would be cheaper though perhaps not as efficient....just thinking out loud

cowboy steve
10-20-2005, 04:00 PM
One more question, as I have been debating between the types of heaters (eth sounds best, but hear me out) Would a 400 watt submersible be too much for a 75 gallon? I am thinking on the lines of conserving electricity and so forth, vs cost of heater and setup. ETH would be more expensive, but a good 300 watt unit may be worth it in the long run, where as a 400 watt submersible would be cheaper though perhaps not as efficient....just thinking out loud

Energy wise I think it may be cheaper to run two smaller heaters, instead of one big one.

For submersible heaters check out Big Al's.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/parent_category.xml?category_id=3231;pcid1=

The reasons I chose the ETH's are that first, I hate clutter, I already have a big spraybar for my Wet/Dry return in there and I hate looking at wires.

Second, I have yet to find a heater of any manufacture that is capable of maintaining a set temperature, and have had too many just fail on me to trust them, I would rather not have them in the tank with the fish, I run one outside, and one in the sump.

I also use a JEHMCO temperature controller, it has a thermostat, and thermometer and it simply shuts off or turns on the heaters to maintain temperature, digital readout, no guess work.

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Temperature_Controller/temperature_controller.html

I'm running a $100+ heating system on my tanks, am I going a bit overboard?, probably, but I have read about too many heater failures resulting in cooked fish, or drastic drops in temperatures leading to huge, and expensive health problems.

Condor
10-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Energy wise I think it may be cheaper to run two smaller heaters, instead of one big one.

For submersible heaters check out Big Al's.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/parent_category.xml?category_id=3231;pcid1=

The reasons I chose the ETH's are that first, I hate clutter, I already have a big spraybar for my Wet/Dry return in there and I hate looking at wires.

Second, I have yet to find a heater of any manufacture that is capable of maintaining a set temperature, and have had too many just fail on me to trust them, I would rather not have them in the tank with the fish, I run one outside, and one in the sump.

I also use a JEHMCO temperature controller, it has a thermostat, and thermometer and it simply shuts off or turns on the heaters to maintain temperature, digital readout, no guess work.

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Temperature_Controller/temperature_controller.html

I'm running a $100+ heating system on my tanks, am I going a bit overboard?, probably, but I have read about too many heater failures resulting in cooked fish, or drastic drops in temperatures leading to huge, and expensive health problems.

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for the websites. Can't believe that I've never been to that Jehmco site. How does this sound: 300 watt eth and a 200 watt submersible. Is that overkill? :D

cowboy steve
10-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Couldn't agree more. Thanks for the websites. Can't believe that I've never been to that Jehmco site. How does this sound: 300 watt eth and a 200 watt submersible. Is that overkill? :D

JEHMCO is great, they don't have a stylish website like Fosters and Smith, but they have everything, great for food and meds too.

That sounds fine, but remember, I like overkill.