PDA

View Full Version : new tank for discus

sanghan47558
10-19-2005, 10:13 PM
hey guys,
i posted a couple weeks ago that i would be getting a 125 gallon tank soon. Instead, i have decided to convert my saltwater reef tank into a discus tank. My father and I have been pouring money into that tank and we feel that we are wasting money. I had asked him fro a large tank, and he had bought a 24o gal. tank, and had the tank used as a reef tank. I have been keeping freshwater fish for a couple of years, but have no experienc eiwth saltwater fish and invertebrates.
I will be swapping the lighting system, substrate, skimmer, and all the other unnecessary. After being stripped, the tank will have a substrate of eco-complete, will have strip flourescent lights and 2 atinics. I might also chang some of the plumbing. I curently have an ikawa pump feeding the tank through two rotating powerheads. for plants (i plan on a planted tank) i will be getting the package of plants they have at aqurium plant stores online. I plan on 8-9 discus about 70 cardinal tetras, 12 rumy noses, 8 blue rams, a large school of cories, a couple otocinclus, 12 glowlight tetras, and 8 Hyphessobrycon bentosi(false rose tetras). I also plan on 6-8apistogramma cacatuoides. I am under the impression( please correct me if i am wrong) that all these fish thrive i nthe same living conditions.
In the sump, I plan on using a wetdry filter, or s couple cansiter filters. ( i might use both) I would like some input and advice on my planned system. Thanks
-Sang Han

Dood Lee
10-20-2005, 03:50 AM
Judging by your list of equipment, I can pretty much tell you right off the bat that the actinics will be pretty useless. Before you buy any equipment, visit Rex Grigg's site: www.rexgrigg.com. It is very informative, and I reccommend reading it over more than once. Don't rush into things, keeping a well maintained and balanced tank is harder than keeping discus (IMO). Also, you could register and check out the planted tank forums: www.plantedtank.net. Lots of people there to help you with a planted tank.

Westie
10-20-2005, 01:35 PM
I like your idea. I recently went back from reef to fresh after 10 years. I'm saving a buttload of cash on electricity by not running metal halide lights and refugiums and stuff. But, I notice now that a lot of my salty cronies are a bit upset about my "jumping ship." Never thought there would be a rift in the pet store!
I have a planted discus tank with all the goodies as far as the fish you want to use and keep. I say, go for it but, go slow. No sense in getting all that stuff and killing it. And post some pics when your done. Big tanks rule!

cowboy steve
10-20-2005, 02:33 PM
I like your idea. I recently went back from reef to fresh after 10 years. I'm saving a buttload of cash on electricity by not running metal halide lights and refugiums and stuff. But, I notice now that a lot of my salty cronies are a bit upset about my "jumping ship." Never thought there would be a rift in the pet store!
I have a planted discus tank with all the goodies as far as the fish you want to use and keep. I say, go for it but, go slow. No sense in getting all that stuff and killing it. And post some pics when your done. Big tanks rule!

That's too funny, I got the same reaction at my LFS where I buy my marine supplies and fish when I went over to the Dark Side.

It's like you're a heretic or something.

sanghan47558: The actinic bulbs aren't much help, unless you want some blue light to accentuate your blue Discus.

sanghan47558
10-20-2005, 07:28 PM
yes...the reason i wanted atinics were to accent the blue hue on my future discus. Thank you for the reference Dood lee.
are all those fish compatible together? as in conditions and sociaility?

discus2010
10-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Well i have been reading around and most people say it is best to keep discus with discus. But i have a tank with neons, discus,guppies ect. but the fish look compattible i dont know about the apissto? but the cardinals etc. are fine have fun with that tank!:bounce:

sanghan47558
10-20-2005, 08:01 PM
ty guys
btw u can call me Sang