PDA

View Full Version : What is Grade A? How do you know?

Mughal
10-21-2005, 01:04 PM
I wanted to start a new thread about how to get a Grade A discus.

What is a grade A discus?

Second, Who sells them? In the hormone section I saw numerous times mentioned that they dont even come to the US for regular people (like me) to buy.

How do you know who has grade A discus? Is there some sort of certification?

How do the people who have them, and breeders/resalers on this site, know that theirs are grade A and unhormone treated?

How can a buyer (like me) who WILL have to mail order be confident that he or she is not getting ripped off for craptacular fish? Is there a grade for fry?

I dont' have any discus now, and the threads about hormoning and getting crappy fish are starting to bother me...I don't want the poor things to die as soon as I get them. I've owned hundreds of other types of fish and never EVER heard any mention of hormoning, bad consequences or Grade A fish. I'm a hobbyist but still want "Great Discus" is that too much to ask?

ronrca
10-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Well, there are certain standards by which discus are graded. These standards are used in fish shows like ACA as an example. Sometimes clubs and associations also have standards for grading fish (this is not only limited to discus btw).

On the other side of the coin (this is my opinion), the grade of discus is also determined by the eye of the beholder.

I dont' have any discus now, and the threads about hormoning and getting crappy fish are starting to bother me...I don't want the poor things to die as soon as I get them. I've owned hundreds of other types of fish and never EVER heard any mention of hormoning, bad consequences or Grade A fish. I'm a hobbyist but still want "Great Discus" is that too much to ask?
Well, be sure to check out some of simplydiscus sponsors. Perhaps there is one close to you. Great discus, great people! :D

Giniel
10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi Mighal, No matter where or who you buy your fish from you need to know what you are looking for and ask them for that quality.
For example: 1)if you want a round fish ask for it.(no matter what size it is.
2) if you want red eyes or amber eyes .ask for that.
3) if you like the peppering on fish or do not like peppering ask for it.
4) high body ,high fins,or just regular size fins .ask..
If the person selling the fish cannot answer you those questions then go to the next one whose fish you like until you are satisfied. Ask them : what if it isn't what I ordered. Or what if they are dead when I get them.
Most breeders are very willing to help you and also know their fish very well, so they can answer most or all of your questions.

Get answers to your questions . Ask as many as you have to , to be comfortable buying fish through the mail.
Hope this helps some
Debbie

cowboy steve
10-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Where do you live?

Don't limit your search to the sponsors of this site.

Elcid
10-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi:

Recently I've been hearing the term "Show" quality or "Breeder Select" quality which presumably is higher than "A grade" Quality. The best quality of discus to get are the ones you like. The main things to look for are small eyes, thick body, nicely fitted gills, tall rather than long and finally they should swim up to you when you are standing in front of the tank.

:o

good luck,
Sandeep

Carol_Roberts
10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
All good advice. Be prepared to pay lots more for the "pick of the litter". You have the best chance of determining quality, color and pattern with older discus - closer to fully grown.