PDA

View Full Version : Now dying?

PJs
10-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Just changed her water, she has been lying on her side, dark, breathing fast, looks like this is it for her. :(

She is a juvenile, 4.5 inches, by the way, and was otherwise very fine and energetic before I quarantined her.

All the stores here are closed tomorrow, the only meds I have are Sera Baktopur and ContraIch.

Had hoped salt and elevtated temps were enough.

15 min. later:

Egads, sorry about this.

I moved her tank up next to the big tank so she could see her mate. Didn't help at first, but just checked and she is upright again, peeking at him. Still breathing rapidly but not as bad. Lighter in color. BTW, has had no signs of skin problems, hanging parasites, slimy feces etc.

Greg Richardson
10-22-2005, 02:30 PM
PJ's I'd just continue the salt and elevated temps. With lot of WC's.
Looking better for you. Let us know.

PJs
10-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks -

Now I've replaced her in the big tank after ensuring temps, etc the same as in Q. tank. Color normal, but still breathing rapidly 4 hours after the move, and mostly hiding under a root. (Wasn't hiding in Q tank before today's move - checking out mate, swimming around.) Mate, all other fish still fine.

Thought I would give her an extra strong (heaped tsp to gallon H20) daily bath of this Ectozon salt instead of Q-ing her. The instrux say 3 hour bath in the dark every day against parasites for 4-5 days. She's had 3 already.

Still don't know what the fast breathing is due to - how long can a stress reaction like breathing fast last for a discus? Could it last for a day after having eggs removed, for a new parent?

Fascinating website, Greg. Did you design it? Great music, too.

Greg Richardson
10-23-2005, 11:45 AM
PJ's. Keep us informed. I bet she pulls out of it.

Inregards to website......
No, I wish I had those skills. LOL!
I bet that took some time. Be neat to learn that some day.

PJs
10-24-2005, 11:56 AM
:( Please can someone help me with a diagnosis here? Medications are very expensive in Norway (eg, $25 for Metro and only from a vet which costs $20 to visit, $15 for most retail) as are fish ($60 for one juvenile discus). Copper S. and P.P. not available.

I've given all the details in this post and in the one about "One discus breathing fast". She has no other symptoms, all other fish fine, except for the cross-eyed male problem. Perhaps I need to start a new thread again, as I'm not sure anyone else will read this.

The female is still breathing fast and a little dark, but eating. She is back in the main aquarium, I just don't know what to do with or for her. Now she is on the angel's side, as the LFS owner thought that might help against stress - he thinks 4.5" is too young for a discus already having laid 3 batches of eggs, and maybe separating them will help. 5 hours later and breathing still fast.

Carol_Roberts
10-24-2005, 04:24 PM
It's hard to advice you what to do. I don't know what is in the medications you've used, but it sounds like they are for external parasites and have not made any difference whatsoever. Moving the discus from tank to tank and bucket is very stressful. I'd put her in a hospital tank and leave her there until she either got better or died. Laying eggs in not the problem. It doesn't sound like flukes is the problem. Gills may be burned from chlorine, ammonia or meds and/or have bacterial infection now. I'd go with 2 tablespoons salt per 10 gallons and daily 50% water changes with pH stable, dechlorinated water. If she isn't improving in a couple of days try a medication like furan II. Sick discus don't need to be with their friends.

PJs
10-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Thank you, I know there's others here that need help too, and you all want to discuss interesting topics too (and have lives:) ). I'm afraid I have more to contribute about other kinds of fish, plants etc. than discus as they are new for me. As is this problem.

As I've written I've only treated her with the Ectozon salt (3 days at slightly elevated temps with 2 T/g for 3 hours, otherwise back down to half that), and as I wrote all other parameters normal, so no way ammonia burn. I know to treat water for chlorine, so it can't be that, and besides I think the other fish would be acting up if those things were off.

Thanks anyway. Perhaps I should have had the extra salt strength the whole time, but the instrux said 3 hours bath at that strength, then fish back in main aquarium, repeat over 4-5 days. I kept her in the Q instead.

I'll find out what is in furan II. Thanks again.

jules
10-25-2005, 07:01 AM
PJ: can you post a pic of your fish?

tx,
Julie