PDA

View Full Version : Autofeeder Food with mite infestation

Ann
10-22-2005, 10:42 PM
I was using an auto feeder to feed a tank of neon's and some other tetras while I was away. When I came back I noticed there were little white mites in the food within the autofeeder. Are these bad for the fish to be eating them. Has anyone else had this problem or is it the type of food I am putting in.

As there are no discus in this tank I use all my left over crumbs from the other fish so generally there is a mix of tetra bit crumbs, HBH vege flakes, OSI tropical flakes and tetra tropical flakes but I did also put a little HBH Krill pellet that was left in a container.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to fill the autofeeder again until I find the source of teh problem or am sure that I will not kill the fish with these mites.

Ann

kodiak
10-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I have had this problem before. It happens when the food gets moist, either from condensation builing up in the feeder or water droplets getting in the feeder from bursting air bubbles. I now keep my autofeeders on the front of my aquariums (away from the airstones) and as high up as possible (to keep condensation to a minimum). The mites are harmless to the fish. Just give the food hopper a good wash and it will be ready to go again.