PDA

View Full Version : High nitrites

rodneyfisher
10-22-2005, 11:48 PM
The past couple of days my nitrite levels have went up to high but my nitrates are ok. I have added several different removers but no change, I have even added some beneficial bacteria booster and a couple of live plants. No luck so far. Any suggestions?

Barb Newell
10-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Hi, if your nitrite levels are up, I suspect something has happened to your bacteria to cause this. Daily water changes will help get the cycle back in order, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, .5 and under nitrates.

Barb

fishfan
10-23-2005, 04:08 AM
Do a nitrite test and then do a water change. Do another nitrite test to ensure that the readings have come down. We had a batch of Serra Nitrite test kits that were faulty earlier this year and no matter what water we tested all had bad readings. If test kit is working then its water changes until readings return to normal especially if beneficial bacteria you are adding is not working and its shelf life is still ok

Carol_Roberts
10-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Test water directly from the tap and see if you get a nitrIte reading

rodneyfisher
10-26-2005, 01:49 AM
There is a 0 nitrite reading from the tap water that is used for water changes.

rodneyfisher
10-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Hey the nitrites are going down after several water changes & deep cleaning of the tank gravel over the past several days.
Thanks for all the good advice everybody!!

Carol_Roberts
10-27-2005, 04:39 PM
. . . . get rid of the gravel . . . . ;)

billeagan
10-27-2005, 05:05 PM
If you choose to keep your gravel make sure you add that to your cleaning regiment.

In my show tank, sand gets cleaned with every water change except when I have to do filter maintenance then the sand is not touched for a week.

Bill

rodneyfisher
10-28-2005, 04:07 PM
It seems like it would bwe hard to keep the gravel clean in a planted tank