PDA

View Full Version : Using Salt with Parasite Clear?

Sweeper13
10-25-2005, 11:43 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

First GREAT site. Trying to read as much as possible. Sorry if the info has been answered allready.

Recived 5 discus about 1 week ago. Noiticed white poop, both types mucus/ tape worm looking. Have noticed white pimpels also.

Using Parasite Clear. Would like to know if I can use salt with this medicine?
Can pond salt be used or just the epson salt? Also what is the doseage of salt to use?

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

White zits, white poop, heavy breathing. 3 on one fis 2 on another.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Just put in Parasite clear Monday 5:00 pm

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish:

75 gallon, 8 year, 5 discus, 5 tetras

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Gravel, 1 year, Ro/tap mixture

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___85__

- ph __7.00___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __60-80__

- well water __no__

- municipal water _yes___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently. no

Carol_Roberts
10-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes, you can add salt (either type - epsom or regular) and parasite clear. It is very hard to treat discus in graveled tanks. Your fish may need metronidazole (parasite clear doesn't contain much metro). Try Daily water changes and finish the parasite clear - wait and see how they do.

Sweeper13
10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi..Thanks for the reply. I just did a water change and started the 2 dosage of med. We will see how it goes. Thanks

Sweeper13
10-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Hi Carol...Thanks for all your help. I see you get around on the board really quick with great info.

I have done the second dosage of Parasite Clear. The Discus seam more active and are out more. The poops on one are getting dark. No white spots on Discus. The tank temp is at 87.3. I have 2 Marineland 300 watt heaters. The highest they go is 89 in the heater gauge.

I have noticed my Neon Tetras are showing the sign of ich.

Will the epson salt or aquarium salt help with ich? If so what is the dosage?

I have been reading about the salt and getting mixed signals. I am trying to stay away from using any more meds. I see qiuck cure and rid ick is suggested.

Thanks Again for all your help.

Carol_Roberts
10-28-2005, 04:21 PM
ARe you sure it's ich? TAnk temps of 87 should get rid of ich. Doesn't parasite clear help get rid of ich too?

Sweeper13
10-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi Carol...Thanks again for replying. Here is the info from Jungles Labs. website about Parasite Clear.

Clears external and internal parasites. No need to raise the water temperature. Also helps prevent secondary infections and will not harm biological filtration.

Jungle Labs does sell a ich tablet. I am noticing that the Neons have the lovely white spots. On fins and body, not that bad. I will keep an eye on them. I do have some quick cure , just hesitant on using any more medicines. From what I read the temps should take care of it. Then I heard when they hatch they are looking for a host. Ssome medication is needed to totally wipe out the ich. I will watch the Neons spot and see if they get worse.

Any other info would help.

Thanks Again for your time.

Carol_Roberts
10-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Spots gone now?

Sweeper13
11-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi Carol....

I used some quick cure in the tank. Cleared up every one really nice. Then I noticed a spot on one of my teteras Wednesday. So I will treat a little longer. Im sitting at 87F right now. Any added info would help.

Thanks Again for all the replies.