PDA

View Full Version : Q's about discus getting thin

BluePlanet
10-28-2005, 04:37 AM
How to treat a discus if it is getting thin? And will it die eventually? What is your opinion about using aquarium salt to treat a thin discus? thx.

RiverCitiDiscusII
10-28-2005, 06:34 AM
How to treat a discus if it is getting thin? And will it die eventually? What is your opinion about using aquarium salt to treat a thin discus? thx.

Hello BluePlanet, we need more information in order to be able to answer your question. 1) Are you housing your discus in bare botton aquarium, or with gravel? 2) What's the parameters of the water in your tank? 3) What's the water temperature? 4) How often do you do water changes? 5) What kind of food are you feeding your discus, and how many times per day? 6) Do you actual see your discus eating? 7) Have you recently introduced any new fish into your aqaurium? 8) Does your discus have stringy white feces? 9) What is the age of your discus?
BluePlanet, once you answer these questions, then we can hopefully know what is causing your discus to get thin, and offer you a remedy. Please keep us posted.............Al

BluePlanet
10-28-2005, 11:29 PM
I have a 100 gallon fresh water tank. It is not a crowned tank, tank mates include angel fish, plus other discus. The temperature is 28 degree or more. It is bare bottom tank. The discus has been thinned for awhile although it is still eating. The coloration of the discus is not as brillant as my other discus and fat, the thin one seems whether fade. In the past, i have seemed my other discus getting thin and still eating for awhile. But, they all died eventually and stop eating. For more than 6 months, i have not introduced any new fish. The sick one has been in my tank for more than 9 months. It has became thin for 2-3 months. I rarely change the water in my tank, but i do add water for once a month or twice. There is no doubt with the food i feed to my discus, they are premium flakes.

*what do u mean by Q8) Does your discus have stringy white feces????

thx.

Greg Richardson
10-29-2005, 02:17 AM
Change your water and you'll change the health of your discus.
Water changes are necessary with Discus.
Just no way around that.

RiverCitiDiscusII
10-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I have a 100 gallon fresh water tank. It is not a crowned tank, tank mates include angel fish, plus other discus. The temperature is 28 degree or more. It is bare bottom tank. The discus has been thinned for awhile although it is still eating. The coloration of the discus is not as brillant as my other discus and fat, the thin one seems whether fade. In the past, i have seemed my other discus getting thin and still eating for awhile. But, they all died eventually and stop eating. For more than 6 months, i have not introduced any new fish. The sick one has been in my tank for more than 9 months. It has became thin for 2-3 months. I rarely change the water in my tank, but i do add water for once a month or twice. There is no doubt with the food i feed to my discus, they are premium flakes.

*what do u mean by Q8) Does your discus have stringy white feces????

thx.

Hello BluePlanet,
Question #8-does your discus have stringy white feces? If the answer is yes? Your discus might be suffering from internal Flagellates. In which case you'll need to treat them with Metronidazole. If I were you, I'd PM Carol_Roberts and ask her to give you the correct dose to you on your tank. I also, agree that you need to do more water changes! And also trying feeding your discus other foods besides flake food. But, keep up with the water changes!!...Al

Oh, yes! Angelfish are carries of internal flagellates, which don't seem to bother them, but can infect discus if keep in the same tank.

Carol_Roberts
10-30-2005, 09:55 PM
You may want to go to www.discusnada.org and read the article under Discus Care entitled "help My Discus IS Sick" To save money I would treat the discus in a 20 - 29 gallon hospital tank. You don't need a cycled filter because you will be doing 50% water changes everyday on the hospital tank.