PDA

View Full Version : egg eating after raising previous spawns

moik
10-29-2005, 02:16 PM
I have a proven pair with 3 sucessful spawns under their belts.as of this past friday they laid a clutch of eggs of 200 or better .as of now they are slowing eating them down to about a 100 at the best . They never needed to have the eggs screened before.The fertility rate was very high (only seen a handful that was not fertile) My question to you is, do discus sometimes pull off a real good spawn then decide to do dumb stuff like this when they want or should I let them go and see if they wise up or a screen over their eggs is in their future?

american breeder
10-29-2005, 02:35 PM
I have a proven pair with 3 sucessful spawns under their belts.as of this past friday they laid a clutch of eggs of 200 or better .as of now they are slowing eating them down to about a 100 at the best . They never needed to have the eggs screened before.The fertility rate was very high (only seen a handful that was not fertile) My question to you is, do discus sometimes pull off a real good spawn then decide to do dumb stuff like this when they want or should I let them go and see if they wise up or a screen over their eggs is in their future?
they probably need a rest

moik
10-29-2005, 04:15 PM
what do you feel is the best way for that? please elaborate please

Carol_Roberts
10-30-2005, 09:57 PM
"Rest" means to stop breeding. Put in a divider, pull one of the fish or increase water hardness (so eggs don't hatch). Clean tank and feed meaty foods to get back in condition.

Rod
10-31-2005, 04:27 AM
I like to put the pair into a tank with other adult discus for a rest. Generally i'll let them raise 3 batches then rest them for 2 or 3 months.