PDA

View Full Version : Tank Planning . . . and questions

MelaGal99
10-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi everyone, and thank you so much for sharing all your wisdom.

I've spent hours and hours reading and trying to learn all I can!!

We have a 55 gallon tank that we got this past summer. I'd like to put Discus in it. It is purely a show tank, for our enjoyment and sits in our living room.

We have an Penquin 400 filter on the tank... we are considering upgrading to a wet/dry system.

I just ordered a new light for the tank as I like the looks of the fish in a planted tank.

currently the tank has 18 neons/cardinals (a mix). 2 bolivian rams, a bushynose and a common pleco.

I have only this one tank... do not have a QT tank.

I understand that the neons may need to be sorted out and sent to a new home. (there is a 125 tank at my place of employment, that I care for, that can be a new home for the neons).

From my reading today, it sounds like the common pleco may need to go, but that the bushy nose can stay. Is the bushynose the same as the bristle nose?? I read that the bristle nose may scratch acrylic tanks... which is what my 55 is.

Currently there is gravel on the bottom of the tank. That will come out.

I'm debating between planting the tank or putting plants in pots and putting the potted plants in the tank. I really much preferr the look of the planted tank.

So, wisdom from all of you.... Should I forget Discus until I have a QT tank? (that isn't in the near future... there is no room where I live for another tank).

Should I stick with the current filter or change to the wet/dry?

Also, I'm looking for a good breeder in Northern California that I could go get Discus and bring them home without the stress on them of shipping.

How many Discus should I put in this tank? I gather that I should buy them all at once and put them in the tank together.

Again, I'm greatful for the wisdom you all share. . . I hope to learn from your experiences and not have to suffer the pitfalls myself. I would appreciate any/all advice and opinions you care to share.

BTW, my husband and I are already changing out at least 10% of the water daily. The Am. reads 0, as to NitrAtes and NitrItes.

I live in Napa Valley, CA.

~annette

PS. I'd like to get small Discus and watch them grow.... I'm not in a race to get large Discus. I'd like to enjoy the process of watching them grow and mature.

cobaltblue
10-30-2005, 05:49 PM
hi Annette,

i can answer a few of your questions and give a few suggestions, but some of the other questions i will leave for the true experts on this site, as i have only been doing discus for about 4 months now.

Your fish should do fine in your 55g tank. I would suggest though if you truly want a planted tank, to buy adults, as juvenile discus dont grow as well in the planted tank. I have a 90g planted tank, and the juveniles i put in there have not grown nearly as well as the juvies i have in my 33g barebottom tank. I too love the look of discus in a planted tank. Your reg. pleco will destroy your plants, so he should go. I too have cardinals, but ive read a few threads on this forum that say neons do ok as well, so you may want to give them a try and see what happens. Rams and discus do well together.
Im not sure about putting discus straight into your tank. When i first started up my tank, i put them straight in. I lost one ( he was the runt) and another got "pop eye", but recovered fine. I did not have a qt tank either at that time, i do now. YOur filter should be fine. The main thing is your water changes and water parameters. Keep up on your water changes and all will be fine. I change 40% every second day with my planted tank, and 30% daily on my bb tank. I have a flourite substrate, which is great for plants, rather than gravel. I dont like the look of the bare bottom tank either, but do see the merits in it. That is why my bb tanks are downstairs out of site, and my planted tank is my showtank.
In a 55g, i believe you would want 5-6 discus. They always say 1 adult discus per 10 gallons. You could do 8 juvies, but then you would have to get another tank or cull some when they get bigger.

Good luck with your tank, post pictures when you are ready . :) :)

Carol_Roberts
10-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Hi Annette:
Juvenile discus do best in bare bottom. If you must have plants, put them in pots. get 6 - 8 youngsters for your 55 gallon tank. A wet/dry would have to be fully cycled before you add discus. The Emperor 400 is fine, but I would replace the disposable blue pads with an aquarium sponge that is the same size as the blue pads (save money) plus I would put a sponge on teh intake strainer to keep uneaten food and feces from collecting inside the filter box. After yoru discus arrive you should plan on 50% water changes at least every other day.

MelaGal99
10-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi Annette:
Juvenile discus do best in bare bottom. If you must have plants, put them in pots. get 6 - 8 youngsters for your 55 gallon tank.

Interesting... how long until discus are considered adult and no longer juvenile? Would you consider planting the tank after the juveniles are matured? Or just leave it bare for ever?

Thanks for the advise on the filter.... I'll be getting the sponge that you suggest. Those filter cartridges are $$$.

~annette
ps.... I was born in canyonville! Back in the days when the hospital was there.

Carol_Roberts
10-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Forest Glen Hospital? Do you still have family here?

MelaGal99
10-31-2005, 12:26 AM
Forest Glen Hospital? Do you still have family here?

Not really in that area anymore, though my nephews family still lives in that area. I have family in Eugene and Portland.

I went to school at Milo... will probably be up there in the spring for alumni weekend.... 30 years.... where has the time gone.

small world!

~annette ;)

cowboy steve
10-31-2005, 02:02 PM
55 gallon tanks are tricky, they seem big, but they are deceptive.

The magic number of a six Discus minimum, along with the general rule of thumb of one fish per 10 gallons strains the capacity of the tank.

Personally, I'm grow out in a 55, with a 75 gallon waiting for them when they get big enough.

The 75 is the same lenght and height as a 55, it's 5 inches wider.

The extra 20 gallons make a huge differance