PDA

View Full Version : double trouble:help

Giniel
11-01-2005, 03:45 AM
I have a 4 to 5 inch fireworks that is dark,breathing fast and white poop.
I have a mandarin passion female skinny and white poop looks bloated.

I have added epsom salt and rock salt for the last 4 days and no change .I have started a metro regimine 3 days ago. dosing 2 times a day with 2 50% water changes.

Both fish are in the same hospital tank. Temp 90 degrees ph 7.0 no amonia nitrites or nitrates.

No change in either fish except for the fireworks eyes are hazy today.
What else can I do ,they both look bad.
Thanks
Debbie

Barb Newell
11-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi Debbie, what size is the hospital tank? Maybe try increasing the two daily w/c's to 80% or 85%? Is there a cycled sponge in there? I'm wondering if there's a bacterial infection going on there as well as the hex. How much salt have you added?

I have a mandarin passion female skinny and white poop looks bloated

Was the mp bloated when you put here in there? or has she just bloated in the hospital tank/high temp?

questions... questions.. questions...

Barb

Giniel
11-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi Barb, it is only a 10 gallon and there is a cycled sponge filter in it. both fish were the way they are before adding them to the tank. I add salt 1 tablespoon per gallon . They both look better today .
I am thinking that the MP female might be egg bound as she was pecking on the glass about a week ago and then just stopped all together. She was eating fine and then stopped all the sudden and in just 2 days got to looking skinny .

Since the 4 days of treatment I have seen no poop from either of them. But They still will not eat.
How long should I continue the treatment of metro? Today will be 4 days.

Last night I did a 90% water change before going to bed . I will up the water changes to 80 to 90% 2 or 3 times a day.

I would have used a bigger tank but have no where to put one.
Hope this helps
Debbie

Barb Newell
11-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi Debbie, I'd definitely increase the w/c's in a 10 gal tank. What dosage of metro are you dosing at? Keep treating with metro for 7 or 8 days, at least. I usually dose between 400 and 500 mg/ 10 gals -- if it's stubborn hex you can dose both morning and night. Temp 92.

Bloat.. I've seen angels egg bound and bloated, but have never seen discus bloat up with eggs, but they may. Are they tipsy? (headstanding/ tailstanding). I'm still wondering about an internal bacterial infection along with hex. Do you have any Kanamycin? or EM (erythromycin).

Has the cloudy eye cleared with the salt?

Barb

Giniel
11-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi Barb,
I am treating with 500 mg metro per 10 gallons 2 times a day. Temp is slowly going up from 90 to 92. The eye looks a little clearer,but he seems unsteady ,bumbing into things .not normal for him.

The MP female is skinny but looks like she swollowed something and it is stuck before coming out. small lumps on either side of her.
Both still not eating not even blood worms.

I have these meds.:
trisulfa -pill form
maracyn-pill form
maroxy -liquid form
binox-powder form
fungus guard - powder form
metro -powder form
praiz pro-liquid form
prazi pro -powder form
fluke tabs
melafix
quick cure
parasite clear-pill form

not sure if any of these will help.
I got a lot of them at a yard sale a few weeks ago.So I am not sure exactly what they treat as I haven't read them carefully yet.

Thank you
Debbie

Barb Newell
11-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Hi, you lucked out on meds there :)

You're treating with a good dosage and frequency is good.

Were they bloated like this before going into the hospital tank? Some fish have that bulge (like they swallowed a marble) permanently, I'm not sure if it's round worms or something else. If they were flat bellied, and have since blown up like this, I'd add an antibiotic in with the metro.
Barb

Giniel
11-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Barb, She has never shown this bulge.That is one of the reasons I put her in the tank. She has only laid eggs once since I got her in Feb. this year. Since adding the metro I have seen some nasty stuff in her poo and now nothing cause she will not eat. She is so skinny ,will not eating hurt her more now.
What kind of antibiotic should I use?
Debbie

Carol_Roberts
11-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Maracyn II with minocycline if you have it otherwise try the sulfa . . . how old are these drugs? May be expired . . .

Giniel
11-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi, The meds are not very old . The fireworks is doing very good .The MP female still has the bulge and not eating.
Can I add the other meds with metro? She is still having white poo.

Where I have her it is kinda dark and I cannot get a pic of her to show you all the weird bulge on her sides. It looks like a large pebble on either side .

Since they are in the same tank , should I remove the fireworks or just leave him in for further treatment also. He was dark and had a cloudy eye when this all started.He is a lot better.
Thanks
Debbie

Carol_Roberts
11-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Antibiotics will kill the filter. You decide if the fireworks needs antibiotics. Put the filter on a different tank if you are treating in this tank and do water changes to keep ammonia at zero

Giniel
11-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Ok not much change and is now a BIG concern :
I moved the fireworks to a 55 gallon tank as his eye thing isn't catching to other fish . Not much change ,acts like he's blind bumping into things. he has large up to 80% water changes a day in baby grow out tank which is almost empty.(has maybe 10 babies left)Anything else I can do for him besides large water and salt?
The MP female is no better at all. Still getting metro at close to 500 mg per 10 gallon , salt at 1 tbsp per 5 gallon and 4 days of Trisulfe and no change she still isn't eating and is soo skinny I can almost see her bones. This fish was fat and healthy . Her mate picked on her to lat more eggs after they turned white this last time about 2 weeks ago but that would be the only thing different.

A friend gave me a bottle of cephalexin capsules 250 mg for fish.Will this work better than the trisulfa?

I don't want to lose her.
here are some pictures:
Debbie

Giniel
11-07-2005, 01:40 PM
here is the female not too clear of picture,sorry

Carol_Roberts
11-07-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't know if cephalexin will help or not. How many days have you been treating with trisulfa?

Giniel
11-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi Carol, today is day 4 .Box said to treat for 5 days. I see no improvement in her and am starting to get worried as she is so skinny.

Carol_Roberts
11-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Discsu can go for weeks and weeks without eating. Triplesulpha probably takes more than 4 days to work.. I dose antibiotics for 10 days usually - just like people.

Giniel
11-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi I just wanted to update:
Last night I lost the Fireworks.I came home and he had developed a whitish substance on the fins and splotches on the lower part of the body and was swimming head down,also his eyes were still cloudy looking . I removed him to a hospital tank and used clout thinking it was fungus or bacterial.This morning he was dead. Any idea what might have been wrong with him so if another shows same symptoms I can treat it correctly?

The mandarin is still not eating and has white poop.Still dosing metro and trisulfa.

Thanks for helping
Debbie

Giniel
11-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi, my MP female is still not eating and is still getting thinner.. I can see all bones in her body and she still has white poop.

What else can I try??? I do not want to lose her.
Debbie

Giniel
11-20-2005, 05:13 AM
Wanted to post to this,I lost her tonight. She was so skinny and not eating. I was still dosing the metro and high heat she still had white poop.
Debbie