PDA

View Full Version : Bright lights a stresser?

traco
11-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I currently run two 55 watt power compacts on my 90 gallon for lighting. I have just done a round of Furan and had the lights off during that time (8 days). I am wondering if this much light might be stressing my discus as they seemed more comfortable with the lights off. Tank is bare bottom and have gone back to daily w/c.

A while back I had a single strip fluorescent light on this tank while fixing the ballast on the power compacts. It was definately more subdued than the current lighting, plus doesn't weight an arm and a leg.:p I am going to order a 48" fluorescent lighting system, probably a 2 strip and wanted your thoughts before I go ahead with this.

What are you guys using for lighting on your tanks? Anyone noticed the difference with their fish between high light and low light?

Thanks.

Barb

Dood Lee
11-01-2005, 01:13 PM
There isn't any need to run any kind of compact fluorescent fixture if you don't have a planted tank. It's overkill, and can lead to unwanted algae blooms. Back to your original question, my discus aren't bothered by my powercompacts at all.

RyanH
11-01-2005, 01:14 PM
IME, Discus will get used to pretty much any lighting that you want to use. Don't baby them. Just throw your lights on in the morning like usual. It may take them a few days but they'll adjust.

hth
-Ryan

Moon
11-01-2005, 01:25 PM
I have a regular strip light with one T12 lamp and a clip on reflector positioned over my 125g tank. It's a BB tank with no plants. Works well for me.

Kindredspirit
11-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey Barb!

I have a one single floresant light on mine, but i want it brighter! The glass it sits on is so funky, that the light wont get thru bright enuff, im thinking....Very annoying! I have cleaned it so many times but comes right back. I think i may need a new glass cover it sits on! They dont seem to mind the light either way, but i do!

Marie!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/new/8_22/15_9_14.gif

cobaltblue
11-01-2005, 03:55 PM
I run 4 67k powercompacts in my 90g planted tank. I keep 2 on most of the day, and run all 4 lights only for about a 2 hour period to keep the algae blooms down. The discus definately do not mind the bright lights, in fact mine come out in the open more often when the brighter lights are on.;)

traco
11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
I had asked this question as the power compacts I have sitting on top of the 90 gallon right now were special built for my 65 gallon, nice oak finish, but it is a ***** to lift on and off when doing water changes. Plus it is just sitting on top and not even centered on the tank! Looks really gaudy and mickey mouse!

I just wondered what others were using. If I ever do plants, etc... (not for a long time yet, if ever) a two strip fluorescent would give low light for the 90 gallon? Asking before I buy.

Thanks all.:D

Barb

PJs
11-01-2005, 05:42 PM
I copied this from the Aquabotanic website :

* 1.5 to 2 watts of fluorescent light per gallon of water for low light plants
* 2 to 3 watts per gallon of water for moderate light plants
* 3 watts per gallon of water for bright level plants

Anubias are low light and don't need to be in gravel, if you're interested.

I have moderate light, but actually think discus (and angels) look best in lower light, sort of like a twilight. Their colors look great! They seem to feel more comfortable then too, hard to say. 90 G! Wow, impressive!

gators111
11-01-2005, 06:16 PM
I use a piece of black posterboard over 1/2 of one of my lights on my 55. It creates a little area mine fish like to hang out under, not to mention my cories.