PDA

View Full Version : Discus eat plants?

wisesam
11-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Hi,
I recently moved my 5 juvie discus into a 75G planted tank.
A few days after the move, I noticed my Aponogeton ulvaceus plant had tear and bite on the leaves.
At first I thought it was my otto eating it. But one night, I noticed my snow white biting on it. It was not cleaning it. It was eating the plant. Later on I saw my other turq doing the same thing.
Has anyone experienced this? Do discus normally consume plants as food?:confused:
The downside is my plant is really ugly.:( The upside is that my discus are getting good fiber.:)

cobaltblue
11-01-2005, 10:19 PM
i havnt noticed by discus eating any of my plants....i mostly have swords and
java fern, so maybe they just dont like those types....:D

Ryan
11-01-2005, 10:59 PM
I've never kept discus in a planted tank, but I can tell you that my adult angelfish once ripped my swords to shreds. I saw all these pictures of people with angels in planted tanks and I assumed it was fine. There was no way! They demolished an entire young sword plant in a day. Someone told me the plants had to be well-established and larger for the fish to not bother them, but I never cared to try again.

So I would say that yes, if the discus find them interesting, they'll tear them up. Especially if they've never been in a planted tank. Maybe it's like a new toy. :)

Ryan

Alight
11-02-2005, 12:18 AM
It depends on the individual fish, but, yes, some Discus will eat plants. One of my Blue Diamonds loves one of my plants, and also likes to eat the zucchini I feed my BN pleco. The other Blue Diamond and my Melon's never touch the plants.

Jason
11-02-2005, 04:44 AM
If Discus are eating plants and or algae its a good indication that their diet is lacking in vitamins or roughage. Whatcha feeding them?

Kindredspirit
11-02-2005, 07:42 AM
I think my Discus ate all 9 of my tiny Neon Tetras.....at least i never found them.....http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_8.gif

But i do not have plants either...Well, now that is a lie.. i do have one tall plastic cool one as i have a 30gal hex tank and i was getting bored with the BB look...

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_7_8.gif

Anonapersona
11-02-2005, 11:48 AM
A. Ulvaceus will not like the hihger temps the discus want. It may be going dormant, the fish may be just picking at it as it decays.

wisesam
11-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I feed them frozen bloodworm and beefheart. They also nibble on some flakes as well.
The A. ulvaceus is not going dormant. It is actually doing fine in my water and growing new leaves everyday. But as new leaves come out, they are eaten.:(

kodiak
11-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Try adding spinach to your beefheart.

wisesam
11-03-2005, 02:37 AM
I can give that a try. I'll see if they will eat that as they are picky on the food.
Hopefully they will eat spinach and will leave my plant alone.

PJs
11-03-2005, 06:59 AM
You can also "hang" (I use picnic table cloth weights hung from a string) lettuce or spinach for them to eat. Slightly steamed or poached (microwave is fine). I had some angels that would peck at this, haven't tried with discus. Might be more interesting (new) and tastier?