PDA

View Full Version : Furan stopped - Order what medicine for next?

traco
11-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi all

I have been having trouble with my discus as noted in my other threads with ick. Treated for it, then came back when heat lowered. Just did a 7 day treatment of Furan 2, double dose, with high salt, w/c daily as thought it was bacterial or fungal.

This is the second day of no treatments. There are still spots on some of the fish that are still coming up. A few of the small fish are twittering their bottom fins again as before. Obviously, it was not bacterial or fungal (never saw the spots as fuzzy or fungal looking); if so, the treatment would have eradicated the spots.

I should have on hand something to treat parasites? I need to order whatever is needed. Fluke tabs? I have been reading everything trying to get some idea of what I am dealing with. They are eating fine, pooping fine, no soreness around the gill areas, just these spots which, on some, look like a scale is raised or roughed up.

I am not going to treat for a couple of days to give the fish a rest. Will keep up with the w/c. Not a problem with my water, PH is same in aged and straight from tap, I add Prime when doing water changes. Water temp does not fluctuate when added to tank. Tank parameters are good zero for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate is around 5 ppm.

Barb

Carol_Roberts
11-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Fluke tabs or Parasite Clear should take care of most external parasites.

traco
11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
How long a treatment is done? I've got a 90 gallon so need to figure out how much to buy?

Barb

Kindredspirit
11-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey Barb!

You are sure hanging in there arent you? Bless you!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_55.gifYou are going to be a pro after this, ya just wait and see!

Marie!

traco
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
A pro I probably will never be but thanks!:) All I know is they are happier with going back to daily water changes. That is keeping me going, I guess. They haven't given up so why should I? Next question will be what is a safe number for stocking in a 90 gallon. Down to 9, the little turq didn't make it:angel: :(

Thanks.

Barb

RiverCitiDiscusII
11-02-2005, 11:47 PM
How long a treatment is done? I've got a 90 gallon so need to figure out how much to buy?

Barb

Hi Barb, I don't no where Carol, went to, but to answer your question, here's the following information which will help you. Fluke-Tabs, comes in a bottle of 100 tablets, or 1000 tablets. The proper dose is 1 tablet per 10 gallons of tank water. Parasite Clear, comes in a 8 tablet package or 100 tablet bottle. The proper dose is 1 tablet per 10 gallons of tank water. Additional information as to how often to repeat dose of medication will be on bottle or package. Then you should be able to figure how much medication to purchase. Hope this helps?! Keep us posted.......Al :):)

Kindredspirit
11-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Gosh what would we do without Al?? lol!

Barb, the little Turk didnt make it? Wow... I am so sorry....that is okay tho...that is okay....it happens....and you are still here!

Marie!:angel: