PDA

View Full Version : What filtration system do you use?

vmeehan
11-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Hi all,
I have successfully kept a 150L planted discus tank with tetras, catfish etc for 2 yrs now. I have just purchased a 4x2x2 and am now faced with the mammoth task of all the decisions that go with setting up a new tank.

My old tank runs an internal filter and the only thing i do to the water is dechlorinate it. (All the usual specs of 28 degrees etc). Because of the new tank size (450L, 118 US gallons or 98 UK gallons) I'm unsure which filtration system to run.

Any advice from people running a similar size aquarium would be much appreciated :)

Spices
11-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Hi all,
I have successfully kept a 150L planted discus tank with tetras, catfish etc for 2 yrs now. I have just purchased a 4x2x2 and am now faced with the mammoth task of all the decisions that go with setting up a new tank.

My old tank runs an internal filter and the only thing i do to the water is dechlorinate it. (All the usual specs of 28 degrees etc). Because of the new tank size (450L, 118 US gallons or 98 UK gallons) I'm unsure which filtration system to run.

Any advice from people running a similar size aquarium would be much appreciated :)

Hello,

Welcome to SimplyDiscus!! We have a slew of threads pertaining to answering your questions in this section and the Discus Basics Beginner section. Just peruse at your leisure.

Since you are measuring in liters and not gallons (from the USA), I take it that you have a tank similar to mine. I'm currently running Emperor 400 by Marineland. Also, I'm using the Vortex XL Diatomaceous polisher. I use the Vortex two times a week for 48 hours and then I shut it down for two weeks. It's a water polisher (great for removing icks, watermites, etc.)

The Emperor 400 is an HOB ("hang-on-back") filter. I remove the blue filter pads from it and use polyfiber materials. The carbon bits are not ideally good for a planted tank as it absorbs the nutrients from the water, and plants need those nutrients in order to grow.

Discus are hardy fish. Just read up more in those sections I've mentioned and soon I'm sure you will get a hands on approach to achieving your goals.

Good luck. **Angie**

Carol_Roberts
11-03-2005, 08:56 PM
I like an Aqua Clear 110 and two air driven hydro sponges (IV or V)

Tad
11-03-2005, 09:04 PM
I agree with Carol,
HOB Aqual Clears, and air driven Hydro sponges have been the best for me to!

Used to use a H.O.T magnum as a polisher but have suspended due to more maintenance. Guess I can live with somewhat dirty tanks LOL

HTH,
Tad

Mughal
11-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Considering your massive WC's that are the norm for discus, I never find my Eheims dirty at all. I have 2 Eheims, and an Emporer 400 on a similar aquarium (125 G)

Dood Lee
11-03-2005, 11:46 PM
The larger your tank, the better off you are getting either a canister filter or a wet/dry (sump) system. Much easier to maintain, and the bio capacity exceeds that of any hob and/or sponge filter combination. Also, they scale better than HOBs - i.e. if you upgrade to an even bigger tank, chances are the canister or wet/dry system can still handle the bigger tank, whereas the hob can't.

Moon
11-04-2005, 12:09 PM
I just use 4 sponge filters in my 125g grow out tank. During daily water changes all dirt is siphoned out. I don't see a need for power filters. I did have a wet/dry for this tank but stopped using it.

Cosmo
11-04-2005, 08:41 PM
On my 180gal, I have 2 Eheim 2217's, one Eheim Wet/Dry, one Magnum for polishing that also pushes a 25 watt UV. All the cannister intakes have sponge prefilters so the cans themselves stay pretty clean, except of course the Magnum has no prefilter - would kind of be counter productive to it's intended function LOL All four cannisters output through spraybars to keep the turbulence down. Also pump about 15 ltrs of air per minute thru 4 monster airstones to help w/ gas exchange.

Tad's right though, the magnums do add a quite a bit more labor as you have to swap out the cartridge every day or two and soak them in bleach solution :( Keeps the water really clean though :)

Ok.. so I overkill... the fish seem to like it :D

Jim

Bainbridge Mike
11-04-2005, 11:53 PM
I have a 75 gallon tank that I filter with the large size Eheim pro II canister filter (with a sponge on the intake) and two big hydro sponge filters. A lot of folks on the forum are down on canister filters, but I like mine, and only clean it once a month (and it does not get that dirty).

Mike

Ardan
11-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Hi,
I am late on this thread but find it interesting.
I like HOB filters (aquaclear) and air driven sponge filters.
One reason is easy to clean
another reason is when the power goes out, there is still some air accessible to the filters and the bacteria can live quite a while.

Ardan

Upper Canada
11-22-2005, 09:56 PM
As Moon says you could easily get by with a few large sponge filters and regular water changes, and if you take the time to rinse your sponges every day you will have good results.

However if your new tank is a well planted one like your other you may not want the disruption associated with cleaning the sponges regularly, in which case an external is probably a better choice, with one sponge stuck in there somewhere.

Bob,

Upper Canada Discus

ValorG
11-22-2005, 10:04 PM
i use a cannister for my planted tank and sponge filters and aquaclears for my breeder/grow out tanks.

Angeliscuslab
11-23-2005, 04:36 AM
if it is a planted tank i think i would suggest a wet/dry combined with a uv sterilizer and water changes.