PDA

View Full Version : Sick Red Melon

WrxAnt
11-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi Guys,

I've got a sick red melon and it appears to be doing down the same path

For a picutre and symptoms see the below link.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41906#41906

I apologise for cross posting from another forum but the situation is dire.

Thanks for your assistance
Ant

Barb Newell
11-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi Ant. What meds have you tried so far other than Primafix? Does he/she attempt to get up and if yes, what happens? How much water are you changing? Have you seen any poop? How long since she's eaten?

Temp? I'd definitely get the temp down to 84 in case it's dropsy or another internal bacterial infection.

He/She looks like a beautiful fish, sorry she's so sick.

If your other fish that displayed the same symptoms died in hours.... I'd be tempted to give Kanamyacin (double dose) or Maracyn and Maracyn2 or oxytetracycline and EM a try.... quickly, with epsom salt 2 tbsp/ 10 gals. I'm wondering about internal bacterial infection/ or dropsy. First water change all of the Primafix out.

Don't turn the lights out, add extra aeration/bubbles to try to keep the fish moving, and lower the temp.

Barb

WrxAnt
11-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Hi Barb,

The fish was in my planted community tank 6ft tank.
Currently there are 2 x 15cm Blue Diamonds (4 years old) and 4 juveniles along with 30 tetras a few corys and a bristlenose.

I set up another tank as a hospital tank for this fish.

I normally age and treat my water over a period of 5 days.
And then I do 40% water changes.

The water where I live in Australia has a ph of 7 and is quite soft out of the tap we're quite lucky in Melbourne.

I've now dropped the temperature to back to 84degF

The fish was definitely eating 24hrs ago. As to when it last pooped I have no idea given the size of the tank and all.

It is making no attempts to 'right' itself. I'm contemplating propping it up!

Definitely still very lucid and the fish responds when I approach the tank with lots of excited fin movement, akin to puppie tail wagging I say :)

I haven't medicated with anything other than Pimafix. I've never really needed to medicate.

Thanks for the post Barb!
Ant

Barb Newell
11-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Do you have antibiotics on hand, or can you get any?

I'd add epsom salt right away, 2 tbsp/ 10 gals.

Barb

WrxAnt
11-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Hi Barb,

No antibiotics on hand other that Pimafix and thats it anti-fungi.

Its midday here in Melbourne so I can heap to the LFS and to the shops for Epsom salt.

One of the local posters in the Australian forums I'm on suggested it might be 'velvet'.

Thanks for the suggestions Barb.

Ant

Alight
11-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Check out American Breeder's cure for Discus Plague. I don't know what it would look like on a Melon, but your fish may have it.