PDA

View Full Version : Ich on Discus?

opalhop
11-04-2005, 11:19 PM
So, I know it sounds weird, but it sure LOOK like it's ich on my discus!! It's starting to spread......I took some pix, check for the little white cottony balls. Water temp 89, added salt, quik cure.........help!! Appetities fine, poop normal. I just got these guys last week (last Thurs....) Any advice would be helpful!! Thanks!!!

Debbie :)

RyanH
11-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Ick can't survive in the water temps that Discus require. If your water is in the low to mid 80's, it's more likely a fungal infection.

I'd treat with methylene blue and salt.

hth
-Ryan

opalhop
11-04-2005, 11:41 PM
How about forma green? That's what I have on hand.........

RyanH
11-04-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm not familiar with that med. Is it the same as Proform-C (a solution of Malachite green and formalin)?

opalhop
11-05-2005, 12:37 AM
It doesn't actually say what's in it......it says used for ich, velvet, fungus, protozoans, would disinfectant. On the side, it says "this product works well for secondary fungal and bacterial infections."

Does that help at all? Thanks so much for trying to help me. :)

Debbie :)

Carol_Roberts
11-06-2005, 01:09 AM
Try it and see

opalhop
11-06-2005, 01:32 AM
OK, I'm on it!! How long until I would notice if it's working or not?

EthanCote.com
11-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Hello Debbie,

Does the ich looks like white pimple? If it is, I am thinking it might be water related.

How often do you perform water changes?

Reason I asked was that one of my discus had those white pimples and after continous daily water changes, the white pimple goes away on their own. I believe if the tank is dirty and not enough water changes are done, it can lead to a variety of diseases that your discus can pick up.

I found that the main factors of keeping your discus disease free is clean water/environment and a variety of food.

Cheers,

Chi.