PDA

View Full Version : Oily Surface film

luluqin
11-08-2005, 11:50 PM
i have 50G new planted Tank with 2 discuses and 10 Cardinal Tetras for 4 weeks now. Eheim Ecco 2234(145G or 550L/H). PH 7, NO2 0 NO3 0 KH 80 GH 300.(well water). recently i noticed that there is oily surface film in the tank. i checked internet and books. i know that is a problem of lacking dissoved oxygen in the water. i don't have a airstone in the tank because the guy in my fish store said i don't need one. so what should i do to correct it:
should i buy a more powerful filter? or add the second filter? or
should i just add the airstone in the tank?
should i low the water level so the water outlet hose above water level (it's in the water now to reduce the noise)?
finally, is this a problem or not? do i need to do anything at all?

BTW, the fishes seems all doing fine now.
thanks for your advices.

Lulu

-gb-
11-08-2005, 11:58 PM
I had the same problem. It’s easy to fix. Just install a Surface Skimmer. It will remove organic film on the water's surface, and helps to improve oxygen exchange. Simply hook the skimmer up to the intake of your filter. I have one for my Fluval 404. I’m sure that they must make one for your Eheim. It’ll probably cost you under $15.

It will look somthing like this:

luluqin
11-09-2005, 12:05 AM
thanks for your help. i will find one.

CAGE-RATTLER
11-09-2005, 12:38 AM
I also heard that if you have OIL heat in your house it can cause that ............. at least thats what i read.

ed8t
11-09-2005, 02:33 AM
I have that slick on some of my tanks from the protein/fat content from certain foods. I installed one of those surface skimmers on my Aquaclear hob and works well.

If you can't find one for your eheim, a quick fix would be to drag a paper towel over the surface and that should pick up the slick.