PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifier Water ......

troyclark
11-09-2005, 12:21 AM
I was wondering if I could reuse the water generated from my dehumidifier. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

jeep
11-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I would not recommend it. Water collected from a dehumidifier can also collect mold spores, bacteria and any other airborn particles...

Kap
11-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Mine also collects dust and I am not sure what metals the water comes in contact with. I would not use it.

ronrca
11-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Dehumidifier does not filter gases as well. Usually they use metal to 'attract' the water and who knows what else may be in the water. I suppose one way to find out is get the water tested. Then you would know for sure.

Alight
11-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Years ago, I used dehumidifier water to soften my Discus tank water. It was quite a surprise when I first tested the water, before I used it and found it was full of ammonia!! Ammonia readings of 2 ppm or more would be normal!

What I did to use the water was to use an ammonia ion exchange resin to remove the ammonia (bubbled it through the resin for 24 hours) before I used it and put it through a carbon filter to remove any other impurities.

Where was the ammonia coming from? Never figured it out. Even after a very thorough cleaning and sterilization of the coils on the unit, ammonia was still very high.

However, it worked and I was able to breed Discus using the water generated that way.

The last word, though, is go buy an RO unit. They really aren't very expensive (check threads here for some nice prices) it is much easier and the water is better. You'll spend a bunch on the ammonia resin and filtering of the water if you don't, anyway.

BTW, I used the ammonia resin rather than filtering with a cycled filter to keep the nitrate levels at zero in the water I used.