PDA

View Full Version : 60" vs 48" length of tank(120gal)

lado
11-09-2005, 03:32 AM
If you want to house 8 adult discus(120gal),would you opt for for lenght or width.It's gona be a planted one.

JimmyL
11-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Both. The larger the better. less maintenance. larger tank is more forgiven for lazy man. Not too much width. 18" - 24" are just fine.

Kindredspirit
11-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Jimmy~

How so? I would think that the larger tank would be LESS forgiving....and the smaller one to accomodate the lazy man...i have a small one....35gal at least i thought it was... itz tall rather than long...really tall, and the other day i saw a 30gal, long one, and mine is huge!! I wonder if it says on the tank anywhere?

I am clueless im sure!! lol

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_15_12.gif

Willie
11-09-2005, 10:21 AM
I prefer the one with more depth, 18" minimum.

Willie

JimmyL
11-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Marie: A larger vol. is more forgiving for a lazy man. It does not alter the water chemistry easily compared to a smaller vol. You may skip a couple of days of water change and the fish will still be fine for adult fish.

Psychologically, it would be scary for a few juveniles fish in a big tank. Samll group of 8 samll juveniles should be fine if water temp. is above 86. Min. of 18"-24" is just perfect. It will be hard to see the fish if over this size. The fish do not feel at home if too narrow. Under 12" will make them go crazy and hide most of the time.
Jimmy

Anonapersona
11-09-2005, 10:47 AM
I think it depends on how long your arms are! You need to be able to reach the back of the tank to plant and clean. (I have a 28" tall tank and have all plants up on driftwood since I cannot reach the bottom at all)

Depending on the plants selected you may need a bit more light for the 24" tall tank.

But, I prefer the 4' size as it is easier to light, easier to position in a room, tends to have more pleasing dimensions of "1 tall to 2 wide" or near that.

Kindredspirit
11-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Marie: A larger vol. is more forgiving for a lazy man. It does not alter the water chemistry easily compared to a smaller vol. You may skip a couple of days of water change and the fish will still be fine for adult fish.

Psychologically, it would be scary for a few juveniles fish in a big tank. Samll group of 8 samll juveniles should be fine if water temp. is above 86. Min. of 18"-24" is just perfect. It will be hard to see the fish if over this size. The fish do not feel at home if too narrow. Under 12" will make them go crazy and hide most of the time.
Jimmy

Hey Jimmy!

How do you know all that? Pretty cool! Thanks for the enlightment. Hey, tell me does one have to put a tank near a wall? Cuz i was thinking about my 55gal .....again...and.....i do not want it near a wall, really...something tells me that it would be safer? Somehow?? whatcha think?

Marie~

Anonapersona: That is a really great idea about putting your plants on driftwood! I am thinking of my 55 gal tank! I have a 35 now, tall, hex shaped, kinda...Only four discus, but they are awesome! Never a problem with them personally.. only water issues! What is your opinion on where to put a 55gal tank? I do not really want it against a wall....thanks!!

Marie!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_7_8.gif

David_Hui
11-09-2005, 01:27 PM
If you are going with a planted tank long version will be better, you will save some money on lights.

JimmyL
11-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't understand. Isn't it a natural instinct to put the tank against the wall automatically. This is of course not only safer and also eliminate people tripping the heater wire and air hose. Fish has low esteem and like to swim against the glass and hide. Putting the tank against the wall will provide a secure place to settle in. Only the show tank can be put in the middle of the lobby that can be seen from all sides. This usually a very large display tank with lots of rocks and hidding places like a rift tank that all wires and hoses can be hidden underneath the tank.
Jimmy

Kindredspirit
11-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Okay Okay....i got it....Guess I'd better find that Natural Instinct~

Marie~

RAWesolowski
11-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Given two tanks of equal volume, I will opt for the tank with the greatest water surface area to facilitate gas exchange. Having said that, I will equivocate when considering if the tank is for the benefit of fish or for the benefit of plants.

If the tank if for the benefit of plants and you are injecting CO2, I may opt for the shorter tank and attempt to minimize surface agitation.

Anonapersona
11-09-2005, 04:44 PM
If you are going with a planted tank long version will be better, you will save some money on lights.

How do you figure that? Is that based on 2 x 96 watt lights vs 4 x 55watts? Or two 3' long fixtures vs one 4' long fixture -- remember is it a bear to pick up a 6' long light fixture. [edit -- doh! not 6', that is 5'!! even harder to light for plants though]

check out this fixture.... $175... for 4 x 55 watts, just ask them to substitute daylight spectrum 6500K bubls or Plant grow bulbs. Sleek and lightweight, dual switches and dual fans.

http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/htm/monthly_specials.htm

discussmith
11-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Without consideration for total surface area (about 100 sq. in. more) for the 4' tank. I have 2, 120 gal. XH (18x60x26")perfecto tanks that I love. I found them a nice compromise from all glass 6' 125 gal (too long) and 4' 120 gal. (too square). But that's just me. I have a 150 gal 2x4x30" that's also nice, but it is a beast.

Anonapersona
11-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Without consideration for total surface area (about 100 sq. in. more) for the 4' tank. I have 2, 120 gal. XH (18x60x26")perfecto tanks that I love. I found them a nice compromise from all glass 6' 125 gal (too long) and 4' 120 gal. (too square). But that's just me. I have a 150 gal 2x4x30" that's also nice, but it is a beast.

How do you light that tank?, the 120g I mean. 60" is an odd length.