PDA

View Full Version : help me get eggs past 48hrs

aquakev
11-10-2005, 07:56 AM
My discus spawn every 6-7 days. I am using soft water for water changes 2 days before the 7th day and this triggers the spawning. However, after about 36 hours the first fungused egg appears and by 48 hours it has spread to 1/3-1/2. I have had other fish spawn like rams and in my opinion, I can see that the eggs are fetile and developing.

Regular tank gh-9 or 160-170ppm
spawning inducing tank conditions gh-4.5-6-approx 100-120ppm

Questions-When can I start changing the water with my normal water-gh9 water.

What is recomended as a preventative/ treatment for egg fungus. I know of the dyes and have used hydrogen peroxide for tanks with eggs only no fish. Is HP safe to use in small doses when the fish are still with the eggs?
What would you recomend to use and at what hour?

Andrew Soh
11-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi,

Use methylene Blue @ a visibility of 4 inches dose.

In other word, add MB into the tank and wait for 5 minute...then take a ruler with a white tip and dip into the tank and from the top submerse the ruler to the 4 inches mark and tip of the ruler should disappear from sight. If not add till it does.

But if MB is used, you need to use a wire mesh to cover the eggs and put the air bubble one inch away from the last few eggs as aeration.

Make water change in 2 days plus (est. 50hours)...6 to 10 hours before hatch or if you missed the WC, wait till the fry free swim for two days before changing.

Take care,
Andrew:angel:

tpl*co
11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Question, does this do anything to the sponge (biological) filters? I'm in the same boat with my pair.

Alight
11-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Sort of like the use of salt, the use of fungicide for egg fungus is not proven.

Some suggest that the fungus doesn't matter. Others religiously treat for the fungus.

I'll share an anectodal experience.

I had a pair that laid eggs every week. These fungused over at about 36 hours every time. I tried anti fungals, and the eggs didn't fungus, but they didn't hatch either. I then changed males, and nearly all of the eggs hatched.
The next spawning by this pair, half fungused, but the rest hatched. Those that fungused never got dark, so probably weren't fertile. All that got dark hatched, and were moved to a new site but the parents.

I put this pair back in the "community" discus tank for a rest, and they laid eggs on completely algaed glass and on rock. Again, all eggs that got dark, hatched. Even the eggs that were laid high on the glass, and should have dried out when I change the tank water (they were high and dry for 20 minutes) and they still hatched.

The parents even took care of the fry each time, until they were free swimming, and scattered to widely in the tank and in the filter current and were eaten by the other fish.

Now, the original male has gotten back with the female, and once again, the eggs fungus and never hatch. They eat them at about 36 hours ever time.

Conclusion: a good pair can't be thwarted. A bad pair??? All I know is to keep trying if you really want babies from that pair.

Alan
11-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Andrew's post is good. You can also refer to the book "Penang Discus" by Shaifullah Yeng which is similar to what Andrew mentioned already.

As for the filter, replace the cycled filter with a new one. Put the cycled one in another tank with fish already to keep it good. The MB will kill the good bacteria in your cycled filter if you don't replace it.

Thanks for the sharing Alight. Gives me more ideas on a pair I'm trying to get a good spawn from.

classicdiscus
11-28-2005, 10:46 PM
are any eggs hatching? if the eggs are turning white they are infertile not fungused.

hexed
11-29-2005, 02:43 AM
When I have a new pair trying to breed I add Formalin to the water right after they are done spawning. I add one drop per gallon then add one drop per 2 gallons. In other words if the tank is a 20 gallon, I add 30 drops. I tried using the 2 drops per gallon like the bottle says but the wigglers do not stay on the cone but when I lowered the amount they do stick to the cone. Like Alight said, if the male is not fertile then the eggs don't hatch, this is the easiest way for me to find out without fungus. I do this so I myself can see if any eggs are fertile. You can purchase it at www.Drsfostersmith.com
HTH