PDA

View Full Version : Kumlin's Tropical Trip/Photo Q&A

Elcid
11-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi Kumar and other Members:

For some reason Kumar's Trip report and pics have been moved to the Sponsor's section and I am unable to post questions, comments, etc in that area so I am starting this new thread.

A few of the questions I had are as follows:

(1) How many discus farms did you visit? Are all those Adult Spotted strains that you have posted from Lucky Tropical's farm only?

(2) What were they feeding those spotted adults? Any hormone? special diet?

(3) It's interesting that you are bringing in No Hormone No Color fed discus, how are you going to sell all those colorless fish? No pun intended!

Okay, I know you are busy, but I hope you will take the time to answer our questions here, we could probably get a lot of learning from your experiences!

thanks,
Sandeep

ronrca
11-10-2005, 12:11 PM
I think the intend is that you are to pm the sponsor if you have any questions or comments rather than allowing posts within the sponsors thread. :thumbsup:

Elcid
11-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Yea but it's also nice to read other people's Q&As, NO? :o I always thought the Sponsor Area is a "For Sale area?" where tankfulls of discus with prices would be listed? But, I guess it must be upto the sponsor to use the area in any way he chooses?

April
11-10-2005, 01:51 PM
sponsors have their area to promote and sell their fish. the photogallery is more for people to post thier pics of their pets and general is for general questions and learning..and helping people with questions etc.
if someone..like say Carol or dottie go and see some great pics..and fish farms..and look what i learned and saw on my trip..and they arent doing it to sell fish..thats different. thats a learning post. but look at the fish i saw and thse are the fish i will be bringing in for sale..is a sales pitch and an infomercial . Anyone who is looking to buy fish from a sponsor..can go to the sponsor page and do shopping and decide who has what for sale..and contact them with any questions.
simplys main goal is to help out people with their hobby and a place to learn and socialize with a common interest.

Elcid
11-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi April:

Thanks for the explaination. I do read some posts in Kumar's thread that have a "sales pitch attached" but, I always thought that the sponsor area was a perk for sponsors for contributing $$ to simplydiscus, I didn't realize that the sponsors were limited to posting pics only in that area because Al wants the board to be primarily an educational tool for non-commerical members? It's a novel idea ;) Hats off to you Al :D

Can we still ask questions to sponsors about their pics in another section or is should they be limited to PMs only?

thanks,
Sandeep

DarkDiscus
11-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Sandeep,

I don't think that anyone would object to questions to breeders posted for the enjoyment of all.

The breeder would have to obviously refrain from using such a post in a salesy fashion and answer as a hobbyist or for informational sake.

Sharing info is always a good thing.

I also think that soon there will be more specific rules posted for the clarification of this situation.

HTH,

John

April
11-10-2005, 03:14 PM
if Kumar would like to answer some of your questions..hes welcome to..we all like to learn new stuff..and love hearing who feeds what etc.
From what ive seen..some of the people who have big thick discus..use alot of beefheart.one being Roy from Singapore.
I did buy some non hormoned leopard cross' from Jeff..and they were quite light when i got them. as the regular rts by the age of 8 months or so..all of a sudden they got their colours. They went into a growth spurt..coloured up..and started their teenage antics. : ) they grow up far too fast if you ask me..nothing cuter than a cute little baby brown discus to me. I love the turquoises..when they are little brown babies and start to get turquoise striations then..as time goes on turn into a solid cobalt..or a shining brilliant turq etc.

April
11-10-2005, 03:19 PM
heres some baby cobalts getting their colours. these are mine....ive been watching them grow..a friend of mine is feeding them a great diet for me. : )

Elcid
11-10-2005, 04:24 PM
here's some of mine, I'm not all that happy with their growth!

April
11-10-2005, 05:03 PM
those fish look quite nice elclid. how old are they?

Elcid
11-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't know really, they're imported! I've had them since end of July!

Jeff
11-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Yellows like that tend to grow very slowly, but they will keep growing.

Elcid
11-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi Jeff:

They eat well and very active and I do like them very much, I hope you're right :)....

thanks,
Sandeep

Jeff
11-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah, Give them time. I do see PB in them, but they also look like pure golden so maybe a cross. Pure golden no PB are the absolute slowest growing discus I have ever had. One reason no one wants to breed them.

Elcid
11-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi Jeff:

Those ARE mostly PB ;)....Best $30 discus I ever bought!

thanks,
Sandeep

Alan
11-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Hi Kumar,

Regardless of how this issue is resolved, I'd like to thank you for posting the pics. I was trying to thank you on the thread with the pics but it was closed already.

You did great for sharing the pics and I really appreciate it.

Alan

Spices
11-12-2005, 01:54 AM
Hi Kumar,

I second that! Your pictures of discus were splendid. I really enjoyed them. :) I hope there is no barr intent on your thread, "My Pride and Joy." It would be sad to see it a non-public use. It is apparent that many of us enjoyed looking at your thread and were taking interests by inquiring the make of the many faceted discus you've imported.

I'm sure someone will see to it that all fairness is just. I don't want to believe it was intentional. In the meanwhile, keep cool (I'm sure it's freezing in Canada). ;)

Angie :p

Barb Newell
11-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Kumar, I won't say much here, because I know several of the Moderators and Al (Brew) have already written to you regarding this, explaining this -- days ago. I will say, however, your public attack on April is nothing but rude. April has done nothing but help people in trouble on Simply, she has contributed so much to this site from day one, incidentally, at no financial gain to herself..... she's been here for the long haul...., not the short as have the rest of us Moderators.

Clarification: FYI......April did not make this decision alone, she only tried to explain to you, then she attempted to set an example of a "sharing picture post" where we offer help, feeding patterns, and guidance and suggestions, where Simply members are learning.

rather than strictly a "competitive commercial selling post".

Error; 3 of the Mods did not make this decision... actually 9 Moderators made this decision for reasons that Al/Jason/Randal etc..... have already shared with you, as I understand.

Best for you to work this out with Al, who ultimately has the final word as it is his Board, not ours! and yes.... I do not appreciate my name and reference to my posts being thrown up in the trash here!!!!!!!!!!!! I, too, have sacrificed and have worked very hard to HELP members.... every day for the past 3 years!

Barb

candyl70
11-12-2005, 02:55 AM
That was pretty rude to drag Barb and April into this Kumar.
You should handle this in a pm the way Barb suggested.
You really shouldn't try to deflect the blame and try to drag someone else into a mess that has nothing to do with them. I wouldn't think it is very good business, it's really a poor ability to take responsibility for your own actions. Too bad.

Candy

Kindredspirit
11-12-2005, 03:09 AM
Hey Barb!

Take Two Water Changes And Pm Me In The Morning!

You are soooooooooooooo appreciated here do not ever forget that!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_67.gif

Marie!

Barb Newell
11-12-2005, 03:20 AM
Maybe you guys should try to remember whose board this really is. When you make decisions for him without him present you are still repesenting him. April should have keep private material private.
kumar

We have an understanding/expectation amongst ourselves, when and if (rarely) Al is away for an extended period of time, for whatever reason, he trusts us to keep the Board going (that we all love so much)! The alternative would be, you trying to log onto Simply... and there is no Simply available.

That is why he has chosen us to be Moderators. Otherwise, the board could not continue unless Al can be on every day.

If you think this is fun..... no... not fun, nor is it comfortable for us to call the shots sometimes... and we do not do it lightly. We have to try to make the best decisions in his absence and represent him in the best way we can.

I will wait for Al's response to this thread!

Barb

April
11-12-2005, 03:25 AM
im afraid i never moved the posts..never even looked at them. seen many many pics of many many discus . never look at anyones pics anymore unless its someone whos very proud of their new fish they just acquired. but whether it was barb..ryan..al..darkdiscus..randall , or whoever it was a decision made by all. a vote. Do you have a webpage ? if you did..you could have a link on all your posts of helping people on the main discus pages..and when they appreciate your advice and help..they would be able to click on your webpage.
If youd like to be a mod..youd have to discuss that with Al. Mods spend alot of time answering questions and welcoming new members..etc. alot of time spent..but not necessarily unrewarding.
theres also other mods who sell discus. I believe they try to keep the moderating and help posts separate from the selling posts. that way..simply stays as a learning forum..not a store with mods selling fish.
I think there will be clearer guidelines for all as far as sponsors soon. its a learning process for all of us as simply grows and matures.

Kindredspirit
11-12-2005, 03:27 AM
Hey Kumar!

Who stole your cookie? So your thread was moved. Deal with it. I like your fish tho!! I may buy some if you can play nice!! I have heard good things about you but I am not seeing it here, ya think?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_12_3.gif

Come on guys!! Can't we all just get along???

Marie!

Barb Newell
11-12-2005, 03:31 AM
Marie,,,, what a true Moderator you are :) I think it's great that your angels ate out of your hand, would LOVE to see them. What kind are they?

Barb

candyl70
11-12-2005, 03:41 AM
Kumar,
How where you being threatend?? If all's you want to do is post a LOT of pics of your fish, and your travels, and advertise your fish, April made a great suggestion, move it to your website. It would be a great addition.

But as far as responsibility goes, it does not entail being a "snitch" or trying to get someone else in trouble.

I have enjoyed your pictures very much, but do think that you have taken up way too much space. It's great to share these, but this is not your own picture gallery.

If you want to be a Mod, help out, show that you care about other hobbyiest and their fish. Mods don't just post pics.. ya know? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_1.gif

All the best,
Candy

brewmaster15
11-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Kumar,
I have opened this thread to reply to you. I have been ill for the last month and in my absence the sites moderators have done their best to carry this board as if they were me. That is what I expect of them and they have not let me down in any way. One of my sponsors has.

I asked you to be patient while I looked into things reguarding you as a sponsor multiple issues about you that had transpired. ...and that I would get back to you as soon as I could. Thanks for waiting a few days! After reading everything and now seeing this BS.. I have a very good understanding of whats going on. and I am not thrilled with this.

You have not been treated unfairly and I do not appreciate the allegations that you have been.. If you are not happy as a sponsor here, I explained that I would gladly refund your sponsorship pro-rated. I personally feel you have abused your sponsor status repetively and I am tired of it. Abide by the rules of this site or leave. Accept the decisions of the moderators or appeal it privately if you have an issue...I expect sponsors to act a level above the rest of the board in all aspects of their dealings here. I made that clear to you and all sponsors when you signed on.
Though we rely on sponsor fees to help pay for this site..I would take a second mortage on my home before I deal with anymore BS like this.

This matter is closed as far as public discussion and should never have taken place on the forum.

-al