PDA

View Full Version : 35 GAL DISCUS TANK HELP!!!

MariosDiscus
11-11-2005, 07:57 PM
I have 1 show white discus with bluw lower shine small, 1 blue turqoise,and a red turquise all in a 35 gallon hex and was wondering if i can get 1 or 2 more even 3 discus in there possibly, i was thinking either a blue diamond, yellow siam, a tangerine or a red melon can someone give me some advice thanks.

Mariusz;)

AADiscus
11-11-2005, 09:08 PM
I WOULD recommend getting 1 or two more discus in there for the 1 (one). Discus are schooling fish and do not do good when there is only 1.

You can normally go 1 fish per 10 gal (adults) So you could add probably 3 juv's to that tank with the other one. How old is the one you have right now?

Just remember when they get bigger then you might ought to get you another tank. lol ;)

CAGE-RATTLER
11-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I believe they said they have 3 already.

April
11-12-2005, 04:57 AM
i would say no more..for two reasons. one..your already at your 1 per 10 gallon rule of thumb. two..if you add new discus without quaranting..you are taking chances. also..hex tanks dont have as much surface area so less oxygen .
although..3 discus is not a good number.
how about..you go get yourself a nice..big..60 or 72 or 90 gallon tank..and put little fish in the hex tank eventually.

Kindredspirit
11-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Hey April!

I have a hex tank....so that is good to know, thanks. I have four discus, since 9/9. They were 3 months old, around 2inches. Now they are getting pretty big and the color is poppin out!

I had to get a tall tank as opposed to a long one , for my office is tiny at home.

I have an extra airstone in there~think i will have problems later? I know I know, i need to get a bigger tank!

Marie!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_9_7.gif

cowboy steve
11-12-2005, 03:18 PM
i would say no more..for two reasons. one..your already at your 1 per 10 gallon rule of thumb. two..if you add new discus without quaranting..you are taking chances. also..hex tanks dont have as much surface area so less oxygen .
although..3 discus is not a good number.
how about..you go get yourself a nice..big..60 or 72 or 90 gallon tank..and put little fish in the hex tank eventually.

I'll second that.

You want lenght, not height.

MariosDiscus
11-12-2005, 08:45 PM
I have 1 show white discus with bluw lower shine small, 1 blue turqoise,and a red turquise all in a 35 gallon hex and was wondering if i can get 1 or 2 more even 3 discus in there possibly, i was thinking either a blue diamond, yellow siam, a tangerine or a red melon can someone give me some advice thanks.

Mariusz;)

None of you people have helped me out, can't you get my question right?

Kindredspirit
11-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Umm...im thinking some did try to help you. Perhaps it isnt what you want to hear. Then you posted again elsewhere... For me, your title implies you have an emergency of some sort....

But that wasnt the case, was it? What is it exactly do you need to know? I think also, you could lose the attitude and perhaps someone would as people here do just that~

Help others!

Hang in there Mario!

Marie!:angel:

nacra99
11-13-2005, 01:56 AM

I think some may have wrongly interpreted your question. But if you asking if you can put anymore discus in your tank other than the 3 already in your tank, then i think April has already answered your question.

Simply put, 3 discus is enough for your 35gal. Don't put any more discus in. But it would be better to get a larger tank and have a total of 5+ discus to make them more comfortable

marc

CAGE-RATTLER
11-13-2005, 04:38 AM

If the advice from April (thats been here for 3.5 years and has over 7,150 posts) isnt good enough for you ................. I dont know what else you expect to hear?

Like she said ............ "The rule of thumb is 1 discus per 10 gallons of tank water"............... which could fluctuate up or down depending on fish size and the amount of tank maintenance you plan on doing.

That alone should have been all you needed to hear to answer your question and certainly didnt need 2 more posts with the same question. If that still doesnt answer your question .............. you may want to try asking it again so we could understand what you want to know.

She even gave you some extra info that wasnt asked to help you understand better.

Kindredspirit
11-13-2005, 12:42 PM
It may be better off:angel:

darcy
11-13-2005, 01:13 PM
WOW nice one there!!! Discus and Hex's = bad. Been there done that and Hex's for discus suck. But I guess your gonna do what you are gonna do.

Lets do the math 35 gallon tank, 3 discus, 10 gallon per fish. Works out to 3 discus for a 35 gallon hex right? You can try and find a half discus if want.
Seems your answer was already written. But then to go name calling people that are tryin to help you is fairly dumb on your part.

Kindredspirit
11-13-2005, 01:23 PM
ya think? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif

Kindredspirit
11-13-2005, 01:28 PM
They sell half discus??? Shytums! I want one, Darcy!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_10.gif

too funny for sure~

Marie~

CAGE-RATTLER
11-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Edited by B. Newell

WOW ............... Sorry if i offended you!!

Post wasnt meant to do that ............... and as you can see i am new to this forum ............... so i really dont consider myself as one of the SIMPLY FAMILY ......... so dont blast the community for my response.

I think you are haveing a language interpretation problem so like i said .... you may want to try to explain yourself better if we are misunderstanding your question.

The way we are interpreting it is ........... I have 3 fish in a 35 gallon hex aquarium ..................... can i add more to it???

Well that was answered.

So do you have 3 fish in there or one fish in there? Either way .... i think you got your answer.

STROKES???

I've been called an A$$hole before but never a STROKE! :confused:

Don_Lee
11-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Mario,

If you have questions to ask and want to ask them here, then you will have to learn to keep your replies appropriate. This thread is locked.