PDA

View Full Version : Grapefruit seed extract?

PJs
11-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi - Has anyone used grapefruit seed extract in their tanks? A vet here in Norway recommended it for a fungus problem he says my discus has. The bottle says it's also good for bacteria and viruses. This make has no glycerin or sugar.

I put the lowest dose the vet recommended in my tank, woke up to 5 dead rummy-noses, 6 surviving that look well except one that has frayed fins. Surprisingly, a r-n that had breathing problems is still fine. All other fish fine (see signature), but I did an immediate 35% WC. My sick discus in quarantine also seemed fine, so I raised her to 2 drops per liter. Today she is breathing slower, after 2 weeks of stress (see Darker Breathing Fast thread - I am posting a new thread as it seems I am getting few responses to this last one), but still not eating much.

I have now raised her to 3 drops, as recommended, for a 2-week treatment. Will watch, may lower.

On Googling med found only hits for algae prevention, and discovered that pond fish love citrus fruit. And to watch for hidden preservatives that may actually be the source of an antimicrobial effect. Will ask vet about this - he has a Norwegian patent on the med.