PDA

View Full Version : World's largest aquarium set to open

Greg Richardson
11-14-2005, 10:39 AM
By DOUG GROSS
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

ATLANTA -- The whale sharks are kings of the 6-million-gallon tank, their presence palpable even before they emerge from the murky darkness like massive star cruisers in a science fiction film.

But once visitors to the new Georgia Aquarium have seen Ralph and Norton - the only whale sharks on display outside of Asia - they will still have at least 99,998 more fish to go.

When the aquarium opens Nov. 23, it will become the world's largest by virtually all major standards of the industry. It was bankrolled almost exclusively by a $200 million gift from Home Depot Inc. co-founder Bernie Marcus.

"It's going to be the most unique aquarium in the world," said Marcus, 76. "I don't want to say the best. (Status as) the best will come after people view it and decide."

The aquarium will also be the centerpiece of a downtown Atlanta revival aimed at drawing millions more visitors to the Southern city each year.

The aquarium neighbors Centennial Olympic Park and lies across the street from the CNN Center and the Georgia Dome. In 2007, a new World of Coca-Cola museum is expected to open next door. The city also is a finalist for NASCAR's hall of fame, which would be located in what is now a parking lot near the other attractions.

Shaped like an abstract cruise ship looming over downtown Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park, the aquarium is expected to attract as many as 2 million visitors in its first year.

The aquarium was designed to hold 8 million gallons of water and be home to more than 100,000 fish. By comparison, Shedd Aquarium in Chicago - the nation's largest indoor aquarium for decades - has 5 million gallons and about 20,000 fish.

The Atlanta aquarium's pair of juvenile whale sharks - characterized by their streamlined bodies and depressed, broad and flattened heads - could grow to more than 40 feet long, giving visitors a rare glimpse at the world's largest fish. At the time they arrived at the aquarium in June from Taiwan, one was measured at 15 1/2 feet and the other at 13 feet.

Also featured will be five beluga whales, two of them rescued from an amusement park in Mexico, in an 800,000-gallon tank.

The unusual fish on display, presentations that will include computer-generated images, spotlights and music and the sheer size of the project have aquarium officials around the world buzzing - and even jealous, said Kristin Vehrs, interim executive director of the American Zoo and Aquarium Association.

"We know they are going to be doing state-of-the-art things at that aquarium," she said.

And it will be more than just a huge aquarium.

There's a "4-D" movie theater, which shows movies with 3-D animation and other special effects, and a banquet hall that can serve a sit-down dinner for up to 1,100 people catered by a company owned by celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck.

Marcus, who became a billionaire after co-founding Home Depot in 1979 with current Atlanta Falcons football franchise owner Arthur Blank Jr., the aquarium is a $200 million "thank you" note to the city of Atlanta and state of Georgia.

"I have what I have today because of the people in this state," he said.

But not everyone is happy.

A handful of animal rights groups protested the plan to display whale sharks, saying the giant animals are more likely to die young in captivity. Aquarium officials and some independent biologists say those fears are based on old statistics and say the aquarium's whale sharks were destined to become seafood when they were acquired.

Some Atlanta-area residents are complaining about the ticket prices and lack of a family pass. For a family of five, the cost of individual annual passes will be nearly $250, while one-day general admission would run $96.50. For a single adult, a one-day pass is $22.75. For children, a one-day ticket is $17.

Planners say visitors will consider the price a bargain when they see what's in store. More than 40,000 annual passes have been sold, including 8,000 on the first day they were available.

Marcus said he knew Home Depot would take off when he learned customers were driving nearly two hours, from Athens, Ga., to his first store in the Atlanta suburb of Marietta. He said he will use a similar standard to determine whether his aquarium is a success.

"I'll know it's successful when we find out people are coming from all over the United States and groups are coming from other countries," he said. "When we see them coming here, then we'll know we were right."

---

On the Net:

Georgia Aquarium: http://www.georgiaaquarium.org

DarkDiscus
11-14-2005, 10:55 AM
I want to go.

Now imagine 8million gallons devoted solely to discus...

Mmmm...

cobaltblue
11-14-2005, 11:03 AM
But imagine wc of 4 million gallons a day...lol.

New aquarium looks very cool. Ill have to take the family on a road trip next summer.

Cheers

Kindredspirit
11-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Road Trip Road Trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_7_22.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_115.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_7_21.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_7_23.gif

Pretty cool, Greg! How did you discover that?

Marie!

ronrca
11-14-2005, 11:36 AM
O my! That is incredible. Id love to get a 'behind the scenes' tour of their facilities. Now I know where our next family holiday will be. I wonder if they have week rates as well?

DarkDiscus
11-14-2005, 12:07 PM
We have to have some members in Georgia.

Anybody willing to go and take pics and maybe give me some info for a spotlight?

It would be fun!

John

Ryan
11-14-2005, 12:10 PM
I get two weeks paid vacation in January and by then I'll have my new camera. I only live a few hours away from Georgia. *contemplates vacation*

Ryan

April
11-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Ryan go..it'll be the best holiday ever.Take lots of pics..and we need a full report. : ) now that id like to see.

ronrca
11-14-2005, 02:47 PM
:thumbsup: Definitely! Id love to see pics and Im sure an exciting trip. When standing in front of a 10' tank that almost circles around you, pictures will not even come close to experiencing 360deg view of water and fish. :D

O yeah! Dont forget to ask if they have a contract for a pipeline directly from Seachem's Prime factory! LOL

Spices
11-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Nice visiting trip. Ryan when you do go (and anyone else nearby the setting) please take plenty pictures for us.

Re: the water changes... HUMONGOUS TASK for a NON-discus lover. (chuckle) :D

angie**

Westie
11-15-2005, 06:22 PM
I just got back from Disneyworld where they have some big tanks. It always depresses me to see a salt set up with fake coral. Reminds me of the latent submarine ride. I hope he has a great coral set up. That really blows peoples minds!

Ardan
11-21-2005, 08:14 PM
This was on the news tonight, I missed it, my wife filled me in.

SOunds awesome.

If anyone goes, get lots of pics, I bet its very neat. Ryan, I hope you get there!:)

Ardan

kjmillerfw
11-28-2005, 07:15 PM
I have tickets purchased for Dec. 18th and I will be more than happy to share photos when I get back. :)

Kathy

jim_shedden
11-28-2005, 07:36 PM
this is awesome...............thanks

jim

sean13
11-28-2005, 07:47 PM
I saw it about a week ago on the news,its huge.

Sean

Greg Richardson
11-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Georgia Aquarium Amazes Visitors
Georgia Aquarium, the Largest in the World, Amazes Visitors on Its Opening Day
By BERNARD McGHEE
The Associated Press
ATLANTA - Tom Corvin was only in town from Kansas City to visit family and didn't even know Wednesday was the opening day for the Georgia Aquarium, the largest of its kind in the world.

Standing in a sort of aquatic petting zoo at the aquarium where people can touch horseshoe crabs, sea stars and hermit crabs he said he liked what he'd seen but had just gotten there.

That was before he walked up to the aquarium's main attraction two whale sharks, the world's largest fish species.

"I've never seen anything like it," Corvin said as he left more than an hour later. "Overwhelming."

It was a sentiment echoed by many of the thousands of visitors who made their way through the aquarium Wednesday. They walked through underwater glass tunnels where giant groupers and schools of fish peacefully swam overhead. They peered into tanks where jellyfish floated with a radiance that was almost ethereal.

Cal VanderPlate, who was there with his wife and 15-year-old son, said he liked how visual and interactive many of the exhibits were. "It's constantly catching your interest and engaging," said VanderPlate, who is from Atlanta.

"Amazing," said Atlanta resident Cleaster Cotton as she giddily took pictures in the aquarium's tunnel. "It's fantastic and it's magical."

The 500,000-square-foot aquarium in downtown Atlanta was bankrolled almost exclusively by a $200 million gift from Home Depot co-founder Bernie Marcus. It's expected to attract as many as 2 million visitors in its first year with what its creators say will be a one-of-a-kind take on fish tanks.

Walking through the aquarium Wednesday, Marcus' stepson, Michael Morris, who's also on the aquarium's board, said the crowds on the first day exceeded expectations, though the exact count may not be known until Thursday.

Morris said Marcus has been getting praise from people who see him in the aquarium. "He's walked into a couple of rooms where, spontaneously, he's received a standing ovation," he said.

The aquarium is the centerpiece of a downtown Atlanta revival that is aimed at drawing millions more visitors to the Southern city each year.

Already neighboring Centennial Olympic Park and across the street from CNN Center and the Georgia Dome, the aquarium will be joined in 2007 by a new World of Coca-Cola museum next door. The city also is a finalist for NASCAR's hall of fame that would be located in what is now a parking lot neighboring the other attractions.

Not everyone there Wednesday was enthusiastic about the new aquarium.

Outside three members of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals held a small demonstration that featured a caged woman in a mermaid outfit. Sitting in the cage with only a small sign covering her chest, Micah Risk said aquariums harm fish by taking them out of their natural habitat.

"We're just trying to bring attention to what's going on and ask compassionate people to boycott the world's largest aquarium," Risk said.

But the PETA demonstration did not seem to win over any aquarium patrons. One woman grumbled about her children having to see a half-naked woman as she walked by. "Get a life, would you?!" yelled a passing motorist at the protesters.

Morris wouldn't comment on the protest.

On the Net:

Georgia Aquarium: http://www.georgiaaquarium.org