PDA

View Full Version : Breeding pair figth after spawning

Hugo Ferreira
11-14-2005, 03:28 PM
I've got a pair that after spawning the male doesn´t let the female to take care of the eggs. He want to do that by itself.
Theres is any problem with that? should i remove the female to another tank or just give them time to learn?

grelot
11-14-2005, 07:32 PM
I've had a pair of angelfishes that acted like that. But for me it the female who was becoming completely crazy after spawning. I had to put a spliter in the tank and leave the fry with one or another of the parents. I had to leave the spliter until the female was showing signs of breeding. Then she was not too aggressive but when the spawning was over I had to replace the spliter. She completely destroyed her first mate, I had to enthanasiate him. I tried with another male after that and it was the same. She was completely crazy

Jason
11-15-2005, 03:16 AM
I sometimes put a divider in the breeding tank for pairs that fight after spawning, that way the frys can feed from both parents and it stops the male from beating up the female, once the frys are removed from the tank the pair will start acting normal in a week or 2 then I will remove the divider.

Hugo Ferreira
11-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Unfortunely, after 48h thw female eat all the eggs, ( the male was becoming more gentle). Now it's look like they will laid eggs tomorow or so, They are cleaning the spot...
This will be their 3º time. Do you think that i should try again "normaly" (without remove any)and see what happen?

Jason
11-18-2005, 03:25 PM
if the female is in good shape I would say yes just wait it out, if the female is really beat up then no, try something else.

Hugo Ferreira
11-18-2005, 04:57 PM
The female is alright. Is eating well and no phisical damages...
I gues i'll try again.

Hugo Ferreira
11-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Finaly thei get their 3ºspaw last night.
Until now everything is peaceful... Thei're both taking care of the eggs with no fight... Let's see what happen...

Willie
11-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Hugo;

You need to get a mesh to cover the eggs. You don't want these fish to get into the habit of eating spawns. As for fighting, one parent can easily handle a large spawn of 150 frys.

Willie

Nerak
11-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi
what should you use to put around the eggs? what sort of mesh?
my pair seen to eat the eggs on the first night or second day?
waiting to see if they lay again. :)

Upper Canada
11-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Nerak,
A stainless steel mesh or one made of plastic, used here as an eves trough leaf guard, can be used, plastic tie locks can be used to form or secure the mesh to or around the spawning surface.

Hugo,

Jason offers some good advice.

I have often found that one parent, usually the one most determined to care for the fry can be allowed to do so by itself. You can supplement the food the fry eat with BBS after a few days, there-by lowering the stress on a single parent. On the assumption that the spawn is not so large as to be overwhelming. Do not be afraid to offer newly hatched BBS after four days of free swimming, use a syringe to spray some carefully towards the parent and fry. They may take it sooner than you think if it is newly hatched.

Bob,

Upper Canada Discus

Hugo Ferreira
11-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Nerak,
Hugo,

Jason offers some good advice.

I have often found that one parent, usually the one most determined to care for the fry can be allowed to do so by itself. You can supplement the food the fry eat with BBS after a few days, there-by lowering the stress on a single parent. On the assumption that the spawn is not so large as to be overwhelming. Do not be afraid to offer newly hatched BBS after four days of free swimming, use a syringe to spray some carefully towards the parent and fry. They may take it sooner than you think if it is newly hatched.

Bob,

Upper Canada Discus

thanks for advice.
In this moment i'm trying with a mesh around the cone. They should hacth today, late afternoom. If this don't work, next time wi'll separate the female and see what happen.
Just one question, here im Portugal everyone say to remove the mesh after the eggs turn winglers. In this forum i've read that some people don't remove the mesh until they become free swimmers. What's your opinion?

Hugo Ferreira
11-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Please help me.
The eggs just hacth. Sould i remove the mesh? there are a lot of fungus around them, i'm afraid that if i don't remove the mesh the fungus may kill the babies, or if i remove the parents could eat them... don't know what to do...