PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Size & Discus

Moon Stomper
11-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Is 125 gallons too large for 6 young discus? if so why?

RyanH
11-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi there,

Welcome to Simply. :)

Many would say that yes, a 125 is too big. Small Discus tend to feel safer in large groups and in more confined spaces.

However IME, the amount of traffic in the room the tank is located and the shadows/lighting will have more impact on the stress levels of your fish than keeping them in a larger tank; at least when you first get them. In the long run though, your fish will get used to pretty much any setup you decide to go with as long as the water is kept clean and they are healthy and well-fed.

If you can start with a larger group of fish though, say 10-12, I would definately recommend doing it.

hth
-Ryan

Moon Stomper
11-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks Ryan, 10 or 12 would be great, its just a big investment @ this stage in the game...

RyanH
11-14-2005, 04:38 PM
You could ask the breeder you are buying the fish from if they have any culls they could give you to help your fish get settled in.

Moon Stomper
11-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Good idea, but wont I hav 2 cull them then? and Im not sure I want to...

DarkDiscus
11-14-2005, 05:03 PM
You could always put a divider in, leaving the little guys only a small space in which to swim, then expand their area as they get bigger.

I have never tried this, but it seems workable and you also get the added benefit of the larger water volume for your fish.

John

Moon Stomper
11-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks John, thats what I was thinking, divider..

gators111
11-14-2005, 05:59 PM
You are fine with 125 gallon tank. Get some dithering fish, such as cardinal tetras (about 2 doz.) to put their mind at ease. The nice thing about a tank that size is less water changes.

traco
11-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Wow, it's not too often there is a newcomer who has too big of a tank.:) Usually, it's the other way around, more discus and small tank. But I can understand the $$$$$ value does come into play too when purchasing.

And someone's "cull" is fine too. They might have a football shape, etc.... but I know that didn't really matter to me when I started. I'm never going to show or breed my discus. They are more pets to me.

Post pics when you get your new babies too!!! And enjoy.

Barb

CAGE-RATTLER
11-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Wow, it's not too often there is a newcomer who has too big of a tank.:) Usually, it's the other way around, more discus and small tank. But I can understand the $$$$$ value does come into play too when purchasing.

And someone's "cull" is fine too. They might have a football shape, etc.... but I know that didn't really matter to me when I started. I'm never going to show or breed my discus. They are more pets to me.

Barb

My scentiments exactly on not worrying about quality starting out and haveing them as pets to get used to keeping discus. And good luck on getting the culls cause ive asked here and got ZERO replies on the subject ..... lol. I was beginning to think it was a taboo subject and everyone here was all about the money.

I will want to try breeding someday and then will look for quality to get some breeding stock.

Good luck ............. so far im loving haveing discus and they definately are affecinate pets. Really makes you feel good when they come a runnin to the front when you walk in the room ... lol. I think my huge angel is getting jealous tho now.

Moon Stomper
11-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the great responses, here's the discus I intend on purchasing from Gwynnbrook Farms..

Cobalt Discus

Moon Stomper
11-15-2005, 08:47 AM
German Brilliant

Moon Stomper
11-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Pigeon Blood

Moon Stomper
11-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Brown

Moon Stomper
11-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Dexheimer
Red Turquoise

Moon Stomper
11-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Royal Blue

Moon Stomper
11-15-2005, 08:55 AM
I would have attached them all to one post, but it wasn't working for me..

Moon Stomper
11-15-2005, 09:00 AM
You are fine with 125 gallon tank. Get some dithering fish, such as cardinal tetras (about 2 doz.) to put their mind at ease. The nice thing about a tank that size is less water changes.

Are the high temperatures for Discus safe for cardinals?

Moon Stomper
11-15-2005, 09:06 AM

Barb

I'll be sure to post some pics, prolly not till next year though, if I can wait that long!

Moon Stomper
11-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Greetings All -

Just to recap, I have no fish yet, only the hardware, I'm just planning ahead -

1. I have been advised to add cardinals to a 125 gal to make six 1.5" discus feel secure, I don't want very skiddish discus

although I'm concerned ~ compatibility, the temp. & the cardinals well being...

2. a divider was suggested,

but I would like to utilize my entire aquarium..

3. Culls was another recomendation,

though sound difficut to obtain

Any other suggestions would be greatly apprciated, unfortunatley @ this time more discus are not an option...

ronrca
11-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Culls difficult to obtain? Some might give you culls to try. Contact some local breeders perhaps and explain your situation. Thats actually how I started with discus. I didnt want to spend hundreds of dollars only to have them wither away and die. Who knows, maybe you can get a lot more discus then! Some breeders may not be willing to give you culls as they dont want they name associate with selling crap fish which is understandable however what some breeders call culls are much better than the lfs stock.

Cardinals are fine in higher temps.
Btw, is this a bb tank? Do you have aging containers and such? If you are getting such small discus, they will require lots of food and frequent wc's to maintain excellant water quality.

Good luck!

Moon Stomper
11-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Culls difficult to obtain? Some might give you culls to try. Contact some local breeders perhaps and explain your situation. Thats actually how I started with discus. I didnt want to spend hundreds of dollars only to have them wither away and die. Who knows, maybe you can get a lot more discus then! Some breeders may not be willing to give you culls as they dont want they name associate with selling crap fish which is understandable however what some breeders call culls are much better than the lfs stock.

Cardinals are fine in higher temps.
Btw, is this a bb tank? Do you have aging containers and such? If you are getting such small discus, they will require lots of food and frequent wc's to maintain excellant water quality.

Good luck!

Thanks for the speedy reply -

Yes I'm having a hard time obatining culls, did you get yours in Canada?

Yes tank is BB, I have aging containers ect.

Serbi
11-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Moon Stomper... I just got my first batch of Discus too. I looked all over the internet for some "less costly" ones because I didn't think it too nice to "experiment" with expensive fish. I'm not sure that it's OK for me to post the name of the breeder where I got my fish... but feel free to write me a PM and I'll give it to you. I got GREAT prices on some pretty good fish. I've only lost one of six.