PDA

View Full Version : FROZEN bloodworms....Rinse first?

Kindredspirit
11-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Everytime I feed frozen bloodworms, I rinse them first while they thaw out, and I wonder if I am washing off important nutrients?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_7_207.gif

Does anyone rinse them first til the water runs clean? Or does it matter?

Thanks!

Mariehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_5_19.gif

Elcid
11-14-2005, 08:58 PM
What brand of Frozen Bloodworms are they? Ur water's dirty when u rinse?

ed8t
11-14-2005, 09:24 PM
I've never rinsed my frozen bw. It thaws so fast in the warm temps, within a minute it's all gone. I use Hikari brand of bw and IIRC they add vitamins to it so I'd hate to think I'd be rinsing any vitamins away.

markwill
11-14-2005, 09:46 PM
I also just throw the frozen bloodworm in and have had no problem (I also use Hikari). I don't think the time it takes to thaw is a factor though - my fish gobble them up well before a minite is up :-) including taking big bites off the still-frozen mass. I've nver remotely seen a problem with this approach.

Mark

JMArtist
11-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Marie,
Generally I don't rinse the frozen BW's, but I do defrost them in some warm water before feeding the slimy little devils to my every hungry fish. But I guess that's kinda like rinsing them a bit.
JM

nacra99
11-14-2005, 10:18 PM
I have never rinsed my bloodworms before use and that has never been a problem (i think) as far diseases are concerned.

CHeers
Marc

Kindredspirit
11-14-2005, 10:20 PM
What brand of Frozen Bloodworms are they? Ur water's dirty when u rinse?

Hey Elcid~

Well not dirty per se' but, bloody dirty....I usually rinse til clean...My discus are only 5months old. Three, when I got them, 2''. So.....I dont know if i should drop the cube in there? I had always soaked it like JM does, and then plopped them in! Whatcha think?:confused:

Marie~

dixiedog
11-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Unanimous so far...

I thaw mine in a shot glass of water and pour 'em in all around the tank. That way everybody gets an equal ... er ... shot at them.

:D

Gene

Kindredspirit
11-14-2005, 10:21 PM
I also just throw the frozen bloodworm in and have had no problem (I also use Hikari). I don't think the time it takes to thaw is a factor though - my fish gobble them up well before a minite is up :-) including taking big bites off the still-frozen mass. I've nver remotely seen a problem with this approach.

Mark

I use Hikari too....I wonder if the little one would get his fair share tho?

Marie~

Kap
11-14-2005, 10:23 PM
My experience is similar to Markwill and ed8t - I do not rinse and the frozen cube of blood worms is eaten before it reaches the bottom of the tank! 8 juveniles down them within a minute or two. The brand I prefer is Hikari - they are consistently of hi quality and really RED under aquarium lighting. They look so...fresh. There is virtually no waste, and nothing to pollute the tank, IMO. I do not know much about their nutritional value but all my discus love them.

According to the Hikari ads, they have a 3 step sterilization process that rids the product of harmful bacteria, parasites and foul odors. I assume the water or whatever the bws are frozen in has basically the same quality to it. Otherwise, harmful stuff is just reintroduced into the mix, and that would defeat the whole purpose of the sterilization process. Further, they supposedly have "Bio-Encapsulated" multi-vitamins additives that gets the vitamins into the discus and not the water.

Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but I am very pleased with this product. In my area it is no more expensive than other brands, so it is quite a deal in my estimation.

Kindredspirit
11-14-2005, 10:23 PM
I have never rinsed my bloodworms before use and that has never been a problem (i think) as far diseases are concerned.

CHeers
Marc

Hey Marc!

The frozen ones , right? OKay then...That is good to know!! THanks!

Marie!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_2_107.gif

Kindredspirit
11-14-2005, 10:25 PM
I've never rinsed my frozen bw. It thaws so fast in the warm temps, within a minute it's all gone. I use Hikari brand of bw and IIRC they add vitamins to it so I'd hate to think I'd be rinsing any vitamins away.

Soooooooooooo, I am rinsing off vitimans??? Oh shytums!! I knew it....:(

traco
11-14-2005, 10:25 PM
I also just put in the frozen chunks and have always done it since I got them as little babies. I've never had any problems either.

Barb

Kindredspirit
11-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Marie,
Generally I don't rinse the frozen BW's, but I do defrost them in some warm water before feeding the slimy little devils to my every hungry fish. But I guess that's kinda like rinsing them a bit.
JM

JM~

I think I do it your way cuz months ago I remember you saying that...Hey John, I am trying to take pics of my fish...esp my angel, my discus wont stay still....everyone is gonna think they are ugly cuz the pics sux, JM!! I want them as clear as yours! They were so beautiful!:angel:

Marie!

Kindredspirit
11-14-2005, 10:37 PM
My experience is similar to Markwill and ed8t - I do not rinse and the frozen cube of blood worms is eaten before it reaches the bottom of the tank! 8 juveniles down them within a minute or two. The brand I prefer is Hikari - they are consistently of hi quality and really RED under aquarium lighting. They look so...fresh. There is virtually no waste, and nothing to pollute the tank, IMO. I do not know much about their nutritional value but all my discus love them.

According to the Hikari ads, they have a 3 step sterilization process that rids the product of harmful bacteria, parasites and foul odors. I assume the water or whatever the bws are frozen in has basically the same quality to it. Otherwise, harmful stuff is just reintroduced into the mix, and that would defeat the whole purpose of the sterilization process. Further, they supposedly have "Bio-Encapsulated" multi-vitamins additives that gets the vitamins into the discus and not the water.Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but I am very pleased with this product. In my area it is no more expensive than other brands, so it is quite a deal in my estimation.

Hey Kap!

Thank you! I think I feel better. I use that brand and the price is way cool too. That is awesome everyone knows so much about frozen bloodworms! And they are very red like you stated...Perhaps i shall try to just drop a cube in and see...It is good to know that you think the vitimans are not necessarily being rinsed off!

Barb~

thanks for your imput, woman! How is everything??

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_10_4.gif

traco
11-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Hey, your mailbox is full, lady. Delete some, I've been trying to send you a PM.

Barb

CAGE-RATTLER
11-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Unanimous so far...

I thaw mine in a shot glass of water and pour 'em in all around the tank. That way everybody gets an equal ... er ... shot at them.

:D

Gene

I use the shotglass method myself and i also use the shotglass for soaking the pellets and granules as well.

Ocassionaly i'l join them with a shot of my own .... lol.

Kindredspirit
11-15-2005, 04:50 AM
Cage!
You are soooooo funny! I enjoy reading your posts~Sometimes I think I need that shot, during wc!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_13.gif

Barb~someone else told me that too, i guess I didnt do it right~I shall do it just for you, woman!

itz tough bein me, ya know?? ( no comment Kiwii)

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_35_1.gif

CAGE-RATTLER
11-15-2005, 06:07 AM
lol ...... i enjoy yours as well marie.

Love the smilies :D