PDA

View Full Version : White stringy feces - help

MississaugaJohn
11-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi

One of my small discus that I had picked up from a Pet fish store was having stringy white long feces....I took him out of the tank recently with the other healthy discus and placed him in a 10gal tank.
I am using a product called "general Cure " 8 light blue capsules each casule contains 125mg Metro,13mg Copper sulfate and 8mg Trichlorfon. I add one capsule ever other day, 3 doses so far. as of yesterday the Discus was still producing some white feces. Today after adding another dose I looked at the tank closley and noticed small white looking worms ( tape worms?) swiming around I dont know if this is related but I am thinking maybe the medicine is causing the tape worms to be expelled from the Discus? Any thoughts? The discus looks healthy now. Should I put him back with the other discus? Temp 86%

thanks for any replys and concerns for the little guy

candyl70
11-15-2005, 08:41 PM
I would wait until the treatment is over before moving the fish back to the main tank. Even if they look better they may not be, the easiest way to tell is to keep watching and make sure to finish the meds at the correct dosage. Are you doing water changes while treating with the meds? Someone will be along to help you out better than i can. In the meantime good luck!!

Candy

PJs
11-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Yikes - if you're still getting live thingies swimming out of that fish, I sure wouldn't think you'd want to place it in with the other fish. I remember there was something in the Disease Stickie at the top of this Disease forum that described worms and how to treat. Might want to check that. Hope that helps and others add more than I could. Good luck!

Moon
11-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Your temp is too low. Raise it to about 92 and treat with pure Metro at 400mg per 10g. Treat every day with a wc prior to treatment. You need about 5 treatments. Keep the temp up for a few days after treatment.
If you are in Mississauga Ontario you can get Metro from MOPS.CA
hth

MississaugaJohn
11-16-2005, 05:57 PM
thats where I am from ...thanks

BIGFOOT
11-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Not trying to rob the post butt i got a Angel fish same promblem. My question is would the metro also cure them?

RyanH
11-19-2005, 01:05 PM
If this is a tapeworm problem, I would be using prazi and formalin not metro.

If you are experiencing a flagellate problem, you're badly under-dosing. Metro breaks down after about 8 hours and is rendered inert. You want to add pure metronidazole powder @ 400-500 mg/10 gallons, 2-3 times per day for 7 days.

Keep us posted.

-Ryan

RyanH
11-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Not trying to rob the post butt i got a Angel fish same promblem. My question is would the metro also cure them?

If your fish are suffering from hex then yes, metro will help you with Angels too. Prazi can also be used with Angels for parasites.

BIGFOOT
11-20-2005, 12:10 AM
I notice tonight she was rubbing her gill plate also. Besides the white poo. Where do i get these meds at?

Barb Newell
11-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Are you in the US?

Barb