PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have this book ??

troyclark
11-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you had this book and if you do what you think of it.

http://www.discus-fish-secrets.com/

Thanks

Kindredspirit
11-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey Troy~

I just kinda skimmed it to see if I had that one, but the site never said who the author was... did it???

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_1_124.gif

troyclark
11-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Marie, I think the author is Rob Clark (no relation). Thanks for looking. I would like to get a quick refernece book on discus but don't know which I should get. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Kindredspirit
11-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Marie, I think the author is Rob Clark (no relation). Thanks for looking. I would like to get a quick refernece book on discus but don't know which I should get. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Troy~

I can not help you there, but I would think that you could make a reference book with all the information given on this site. Carol, Jason, Al, and Barb, and many more post articles and whatnot here on so many topics and issues. I have my own 'book' stored here on my computer which I am constantly checking out~All of which I gathered here and organized~

When you find some useful info , from someone you trust, copy and paste it, save, and eventually you will have your own book, from the best people, http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_1_35.gifIMO~

hth

Marie~

Marie~

Alan
11-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Penang Discus by Shaifullah Yeng

Alan
11-16-2005, 10:59 PM
But if you have to be an expert on diseases: "Discus Health" by Dieter Untergasser. It is a good $20+ investment.

Dave C
11-16-2005, 11:04 PM
I agree with Alan on both of those choices.

mench
11-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Haven't heard anything on this book...must be new......I would find it hard to beleive that any new book on discus would have any info that hasn't been talked about in other books or on the boards...I am not saying that this book may not have something exciting in it.
Hopefully someone on the board will have a copy and give us a review.
It seems like it is priced right.And I would like some info on the author as to his experence with discus etc,etc

Mench

Lance_Krueger
11-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Discus Fish Secrets is a decent "book" if you have never raised a discus, and are looking for some very general information about raising discus. But if you've kept more than a few discus for any length of time, then there are no "secrets" contained in this book. The entire book is 22 pages long, (including the Title page containing 5 words and the table of contents page) and several of the books pages are only partially full. This is such basic, general information, that it is of little use for most of the readers of this forum. Instead of it actually being a real hard or soft bound book, you get a downloadable "e-book," which the website only discreetly mentions one time, yet shows a picture of the supposed book to seem to be a hardbound book with hundreds of pages. Plus, not a single picture, though there's several pictures of nice discus on his website, and the sites non-existent book cover picture. There are many misspellings throughout the text, while any $ amounts mentioned are in pounds since the guy that wrote it is from England, I think. I paid $17.77 (that's U.S. Dollars) for this book because his "costs to deliver it to you are so low" but wasn't worth the hour of time I spent to read it, much less the green backs I shelled out for it. Even Wattley's $10 hardbound book "Discus Breeding for Beginners" or Thomas Giovanetti's $8 softbound book "Discus Fish" had tons more good information in it than "Discus Fish Secrets." The author, Rob Clarke, claims to have a "100% Money Back Guarantee if not absolutely satisfied" which I've just emailed him and requested my money back. Have yet to hear from him, but will let you know if I get my money back, or not. If you're just starting out, this may be a wonderful basic-basics book to get. But you and anyone that has any sort of experience raising discus would be much better served to make a $17.77 donation to Simply Discus, and spend the same amount of time to find some very good information and true secrets on the Simply Discus Forum. Wish I had! :-)
Lance Krueger

AFTICA
11-21-2005, 09:42 PM
A simple easy book on Discus that is recent - and reasonably good for the beginner in my opinion is Discus Fish (Complete Pet Owner's Manual) by Thomas Giovanetti.

The pictures in the book are bright and colorful - but the choice of the actual fish could have been much better! (Can we say Pepper!). The information is actually quite good compared to the ole TFH Publications that were mostly coffee table picture books with little to no content.

Published in 2005 so much of the info is relativly current - and it is an EXCELLENT primer for the person interested in Discus... but for the full meal - start reading this forum.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764128582/102-5895355-1824151?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

candyl70
11-22-2005, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the recommendations of the other books everyone. I thought the e-book looked interesting but glad that i could learn that it really wasn't. Anyhow i found a copy of discus health for 9.95 on Amazon.. so thanks for the tip on that one. Anyone know where to get a copy of Penang Discus?? I only found 1 site and it was 55+ shipping and handling, plus its outside the u.s.

Thanks again!!

Candy

lexylopez
11-22-2005, 07:05 AM
:p :angel: :) :confused: ;) :p :angel: :) :o ;) :p

One Of the BEST BOOKS written for Discus Fishhheess!!! Helped Me after killing my first batch of Discus Fishes! LOL :) :) :) :) :)

candyl70
11-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Which book LL ???

lexylopez
11-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Which book LL ???
http://www.discus-fish-secrets.com/

Bought it accidentally... I wasn't sure if my mom's credit card would work... I got grounded as usual!LOL bu *** was worth it! I learned alot from it! Yeay Meehh!!!

lssdiscus
11-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Among the best Discus books are Penang Discus and Discus The Naked Truth. I have a few new ccopies of each.

Dear Lou, I edited your post because you cannot advertise on here. We have rules on sales and I would advice you to look them up.

Lance_Krueger
11-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I requested my refund through the only email address on the site. Came back as undeliverable. Tried to locate the author other ways. No response. So looks like my $17.77 was a waste on this terrible "book."
Lance Krueger