PDA

View Full Version : WC's -90gal tank

MississaugaJohn
11-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

I read about all the water changes people are doing everyday from 50% - 170%, sometimes I wonder if that is not overkill...
I was wondering I have a 90gall tank with 2ea -4" discus and 5ea -3" discus. I was changing 5% eveyday and I now I am changing 10gal or 10% every other day. Which way is better and do you think I should do more or less?
I ussually let the water age a day in 2 buckets and add some tetra aquasafe to the buckets......bottom line my fish look healthy and happy. I use only tap water here in Toronto...although I am sure 30% RO water would be good havent added any do to cost and inconvience

Ardan
11-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi,
You do have a low bioload for a 90 gallon with 7 discus.
When I had 7 discus in a 50 gallon I changed 50% per day.
Personally if I had your setup I would do a bit more. at least 50% every other day.
jmo:)
hth
Ardan

CAGE-RATTLER
11-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Not sure how you do a 170% water change ;)

I personally do 50% - 70% a week in a 100 gallon tank but mine is a community tank with only 2 discus but i have 4 other large fish & 5 medium sized fish and 6 small tetras. I may start doing twice a week tho since my nitrates were up a bit this past week.

I think the best way to determine the amount of water changes is to just check your water chemistry each day (Ammonia, nitrites & nitrates) to determine the amount of changes needed. It aslo depends on how much and often you feed as well.

If breeding .............. then i would do more.

alpine
11-20-2005, 09:44 PM
I myself with that amount of discus in that tank would really think I would have to go with 170% wc...every other day.....yes.. :confused:

ronrca
11-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Since everyones water is different in parameters, you have to test the water to find the balance between massive wc's that may be unnecessary and clean water for healthy discus. There are a lot of factors that can affect the water quality such as bioload, tank decor, type of foods, feeding frequency, etc. This would involve some experimenting with your tank and different wc %s. One such method could use nitrates as a factor of testing quality.