PDA

View Full Version : Changing Foods - Whats the best way?

ronrca
11-21-2005, 07:30 PM
I recently changed dry food brands. What is the best way for the discus to eat the new food? Just dont feed them anything else until they do? The adults will eat the new food however very slowly and not as they did before. The juvs dont seem to be eating it at all. Is there a method or any experiences changing foods?

Thanks

alpine
11-21-2005, 07:46 PM
May I ask what food you changed from and to ??
Thank you,
roberto.

AADiscus
11-21-2005, 10:15 PM
If you are going to try new food or switch food (which that is what u have done) the best time to introduce it is in the morning feeding. First thing! Try feeding it then and for their lunch feeding.

ronrca
11-21-2005, 10:47 PM
May I ask what food you changed from and to ??
Thank you,
roberto.
Switching from Tetra Bits to NLS.

Ive tried feeding exclusively NLS this whole week. The adults pick it off the bottom and in their tank its clean. The juv tanks seems to get eaten over the day but not all of it.

White Worm
11-21-2005, 11:25 PM
I also have had the problem of introducing new foods. I have 18 Discus right now and I got them from 4 different places who fed them 4 different things. i now have 16 juvies in a 72 g and 10 of them would only eat what the breeder sent with them. The others liked tetra bits from a different breeder. Then I have the two adults in a 85g. They look at me crazy if I try to feed them anything but frozen shrimp. Those 2 devour a cube a day. The juvies I have been puting a combination of both foods so they will all eat but I am slowly going with tetra bits because they are easier and have more ingredients that the discus need. They will eventually eat what you put in there when they associate you with food. I dont think it good to starve em though and yes, they are very hungry in the morning but mine are always looking to eat when I come near the tank. They constantly follow me until I give them some snacks. The two adults are spoiled so they get shrimp all the time and they love it. You've never seen 2 fish swim faster than these 2 when they see me with the shrimp in hand, LOL. Its all part of the fun I think. Thats why we do this hobby because it is fun, challenging and rewarding!

alpine
11-21-2005, 11:29 PM
ronrca , What is NLS ??

Dkarc@Aol.com
11-22-2005, 12:15 AM
ronrca , What is NLS ??

New Life Spectrum...I have used it before and I like it. The only thing I find with it is that if it sits in the tank for too long, it breaks down pretty fast...faster than Colorbits would. JME

-Ryan

ronrca
11-22-2005, 04:16 PM
if it sits in the tank for too long, it breaks down pretty fast
Ive noticed the same therefore when I come home, I dont really know how much has been eaten. I think they are slowly getting into it more and more. Suppose it just takes time.

candyl70
11-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Have you tried feeding it with their favorite foods? Maybe they will then associate it as something edible, and be more willing to try it.
Just a thought.

Candy

troutmaster
11-28-2005, 09:40 AM
From what I have learned about Discus in the past few months of owning these fish is they really resist and hate any kind of change. To the point that it can make them ill. I have thought about flushing these fish on more than one occation. But I have now come to realize that Discus take their time for everything!

goheel
11-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Don't flush them. Give them to me.:p

RyanH
11-29-2005, 03:14 AM
Hey Ron,

I introduced NLS foods to my fish about a year ago with limited success. All of my fish will eat it, even the Heckels, but never with the enthusiasm they have for Colorbits.

I still feed NLS foods but only first thing in the morning when they're starving.

I've found that my Rams go completely insane over it though... go figure.

cobaltblue
11-29-2005, 03:22 AM
Hey Ron, i changed from OSI "discus" flake to Omega ONe supercolour flake about a month ago. I still feed bloodworms and discus delight(turkey heart), and colourbits, just changed the flake. My discus seem to love the new flake and their colour has brightened up quite a bit since the change as well.:)

RyanH
11-29-2005, 03:34 AM
Hey Chris, where are you getting your Omega One food from?

I've only found it on a few sites that I'm not familiar with and when I have seen it, it's really expensive.

thanks!
-Ryan

ronrca
11-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it especially knowing that Im not the only one that has had concerns with changing foods.

Ive noticed the same result as RyanH that they will eat it however not with the same viger as the colorbits. Some people prefer getting fastfood or pizza over a 'heathly' meal as well. ;) However, they are eating it better and quicker now. One difference I have noticed is that NLS fills up the tummies with less food than other the brands. That means I can feed less than other brands which is a good thing. :thumbsup:

ed8t
12-09-2005, 04:51 PM
My fish are ok with colorbits, but it's been a little bit of a struggle the past couple of weeks getting them to pick up on the NLS Spectrum bits too. About a third of the fish would begin hunting it down and the rest would just kinda hang around the middle of the tank ignoring the bits as they sink down. As soon as I disappear out of sight (their sight) the "too cool discus" rushes down and starts picking the bits off before their tankmates picks all the bits off.

My guess as long as I'm hanging around, they're hoping for something better like worms and flakes and stuff. My fault from occasionally giving them an extra treat if they snarf down their main meal pretty quickly. :p

Spices
12-21-2005, 11:32 AM
11-28-2005 08:40 AM
From what I have learned about Discus in the past few months of owning these fish is they really resist and hate any kind of change. To the point that it can make them ill. I have thought about flushing these fish on more than one occation. But I have now come to realize that Discus take their time for everything!

Yup! Those discus definitely loathe environmental change. It must be hard for them now as the rivers in Brazil are drying up. :sad: :cry:

I can't seem to find NLS anymore as I used to. They're becoming scarce.

**Angie**

ronrca
12-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Contact Neil. Im sure he can help you!
http://www.cichlid-food-canada.com/index.htm

;)

Spices
12-24-2005, 04:50 AM
Thanks, but I'm going to continue using what I have now. My LFS will seek them NLS once more and if he doesn't get them then those discus will have to get used to the new foods. :)