PDA

View Full Version : Adults and Brine shrimps

satty
11-22-2005, 06:06 AM
I have a question to ask-can brine shrimps be fed to adult discus,have read that people hatch the shrimps egg and feed that to babies can this be given to the adults if yes what are the advantages of giving it?
Cheers

gators111
11-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Sure they can. Mine love em. BBS are used because they reportedly have more nutritional value. Live brine shrimp are helpful in getting discus their appetites back, IMO.

nacra99
11-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Newly hatched brine shrimp might be a bit too small for large adults to find easily.

Reportedly, Brine shrimp are high in amino acids. I feed live adult brine shrimp as an occational treat, but i find that they are too small to provide a substantial staple meal all the time.

cheers
Marc

DiscusAddict
11-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Whenever I go to my piano lessons every friday I stop to a lfs to pic up about 700 of these suckers. I put all of them in and my discus go crazy for them. After eating all of them they are full for the day. So they get them as a treat once a week. So I would reccomend to gice them a treat of brine shrimp occasionaly. Plus its really fun to watch them trying to catch the shrimp as the shrimp zigzag out of the way. They are working for their food, a good excersize :D :bouncegre

-Martin

ronrca
11-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Whenever I go to my piano lessons every friday
We have a muscian here? Sweet! How far are in piano btw? I use to take lessons many years ago. After that I took violin. I also play trumpet, althorn and baritone. ;)

Brine shrimp are a good treat however should be not the stable food. ;)

DiscusAddict
11-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Ive been playing for about 5 years now. My teacher is a professor who judged pianists like Zimmerman. My teacher also goes to Europe every year to this one huge convention. So ya, he is concidered one o hte best in the world. I mostly play Chopin and Mozart but also play songs like The Entertainer.

-Martin

prodigydiscus
11-28-2005, 08:52 AM
fully grown brine shrimp is an ideal food for adult discus!
(if fed as part of a balanced diet)

Andrew Soh's book has a great chapter on how to grow brine shrimp at home.

HTH

Ben

JMArtist
11-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Brime Shrimp, live or frozen, is a great food for Discus of all ages.
As a treat or part of their daily diet, you can't go wrong with it.

White Worm
12-01-2005, 04:54 PM
I tried live and you only want to feed it when they are alive but they die quickly even if you keep them in the fridge like you are suppossed to. Then they begin to stink badly. You end up discarding more than you feed. They would be good for treat once in a while though (buy just enough for a week) or you could go the frozen route which I do and it is so much easier to throw half a cube in and then back in the freezer, no mess, no fuss. They love it and it is plenty for a meal. Some like to dissolve the cube before puting it in but I dont and they dont seem to care. Its only two semi adults though. If you were feeding numerous discus, you would probably want to break it up so everyone gets their fair share.