PDA

View Full Version : help identifying a discus

JimmyB
11-22-2005, 12:35 PM
I had the chance to take these two juveniles off the hands of a friend, for a trade that is basically like getting them for free. There are two fish, they are about 3.5 inches from tip to tail. When I first saw them over a month ago, they were more dark red, but they are getting more of a lighter orange as they grow. The fins are getting darker black. As I look at these photos, one of them appears to have some lighter bands across the forehead like a pigeonblood, but I swear I can't see them on the fish. Must be the flash bringing out that coloration. It is only on one of them. Any idea what these are? (besides mutts?). They are healthy and curious and good eaters. Let's see if I can post the pictures now...............

JimmyB
11-22-2005, 12:37 PM
hey, this photo upload thing is easy....... Here is the other one.

gators111
11-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Those are pigeonbloods. And very well might be stunted, but feed them well and who knows.

Ryan
11-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Gators111 is right, they are both pigeons. Note the peppering and the solid bright red eyes.

They do look a bit runted, but sometimes you can bring them around. If not, they might still be good starter fish as long as they're healthy and happy.

Ryan

JimmyB
11-22-2005, 04:31 PM
They both eat like pigs so I think they will come around. I am still amazed that those light lines showed up on the photos of the one fish, because I still can't see them on the fish itself with the naked eye. Does the presence of those light squiggle lines near the forehead indicate that they are pigeons, or do you rely soley on the red eyes and the peppering? These are still young fish, so how can you tell they might be runts?

Ryan
11-22-2005, 04:51 PM
It's hard to pin down exact traits because you have such a large variation in any discus. A lot of pigeons do have markings on the face, but then you have other pigeons who lack facial markings. The eyes are usually the give-away for me. Look at pictures of pigeons vs. non-pigeons and you will start to see what I mean. Peppering, though, is a sure sign.

Ryan

Kindredspirit
11-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Hey, Jimmy~

My Ms. Pringles, looks exactly like the one Ryan said was a Pigeon! Only she is really round and huge! I got her from the lfs here, and when i got home i called them to see what kind she was, as I had just joined this site and they told me a Red Marboro....

But now I know different...I would believe Ryan over my lfs any time! Ms P is really coral and her peppering and fins are jet black...she is very cool whatever she is!

Mariehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_9_2.gif

Ryan
11-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Marie,

Marlboro Red is a type of pigeon. Most Marlboro Reds are deep orange/red with black fins. However, some breeders call them other things. At the end of the day, they are all still pigeon blood types. You can call her a Marlboro Red if you want, it's really up to you. I just call them pigeons :)

Ryan

discusfever
11-24-2005, 09:39 AM
hey Jimmy
They look like a Marlboro red (Pigeon) to me
Lance :bandana:

Kindredspirit
11-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Marie,

Marlboro Red is a type of pigeon. Most Marlboro Reds are deep orange/red with black fins. However, some breeders call them other things. At the end of the day, they are all still pigeon blood types. You can call her a Marlboro Red if you want, it's really up to you. I just call them pigeons :)

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! Hey, so when people breed discus, crossed with whatever, they can name them anything they want, basically? Like start a new strain, or name? Sorry , Jimmy, i do not mean to hijack your thread...

Marie~:angel:

justafishguy
11-24-2005, 02:32 PM
They do look a bit stunted, I was told the large eyes in relation to a small body can be a sign. Overall, nice fish though. Good Luck and enjoy. Also, I have some pigeon bloods that dont have red eyes.

Ryan
11-24-2005, 04:29 PM
They do look a bit stunted, I was told the large eyes in relation to a small body can be a sign. Overall, nice fish though. Good Luck and enjoy. Also, I have some pigeon bloods that dont have red eyes.

What color eyes do they have?

justafishguy
11-24-2005, 07:02 PM
I have two pigeon bloods that both have yellow eyes. They have some peppering but i have noticed that it has really gone away in the last month. One of the fish looks close to the color of those pictures, the other is covered with intense white/blue coloration with a dark red base on the front half.

Ryan
11-25-2005, 12:07 AM
That's a nice pigeon. I should clarify what I meant about the eyes. Pigeon eyes range anywhere from yellow to red, but it's more about the way the eyes look compared to non-pigeon discus. It's hard to explain. After seeing a lot of them, you start to notice it though.

Ryan

Dillan
11-25-2005, 01:32 AM
ya, that last pic is what I thought was a Pigeon Blood... I have 2 juvies with that kind of markings coming out.

I also have two Pearl Pigeon Bloods that I think are just some concoction the breeder came up with.

I have a fish that looks like the first fish in this thread too. I've always figured he was some kind of "marlboro red", prolly a bit mixed up genetically too, like so many cool discus!

ronrca
11-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Here is a good link for identifying discus:

http://www.discusnada.org/discus/classification.html