PDA

View Full Version : Got wigglers

Danse
11-22-2005, 05:17 PM
I never got this far before. The eggs would turn white and get eaten within 48 hours.

My water was too hard, I cut my water with RO water for water changes over a couple of weeks.

Danse
11-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Here is dad

Greg Richardson
11-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Congrats!!!

ronrca
11-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Sweet! Congrats :thumbsup:

AADiscus
11-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Let us know when they start freeswimming. That is another whole experience. lol

billeagan
11-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Congrats! What kind is dad? little hard to tell from the pic if its a BD or not...

Danse
11-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Congrats! What kind is dad? little hard to tell from the pic if its a BD or not...

Not sure, just pink,I think he a cross of a snow white and a BD.

Both came from Cary of GLD in the spring of 2004, and both were quarter size.

Danse
11-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Quick up date.

Yesterday, I noticed that the female seemed to be eating the wigglers. Then I saw the male push her away from the breeding cone. So I pull her out of the aquarium.

Today when I got home, half the fry were on the breeding cone, the other half were scattered around the breeding cone, and on his back. The male slowly swam around the breeding cone collecting a few in his mouth and spitting them back on the breeding cone, but everytime he would spit two or three back on the cone four or five would come off. This went on for a while.
Now they are all off the breeding cone, and in the corner off the aquarium behind the breeding cone. If one ventures passed the breeding cone, he gets cought and spit back in the corner.

EthanCote.com
11-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Congrats are in order indeed! =)

I can't wait for mine to start breeding.

Keep us posted with pictures. I always love looking at fries attached to parent.

All the best.

Cheerio,

Chi.

kaceyo
11-24-2005, 06:37 PM
So far so good. As long as he's trying to keep them together and letting them eat things are going fine. Good job.

Kacey

billeagan
11-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Great! post pics when you get a chance...

Danse
11-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Things seem to be going well.

The fry swim better everyday.
During the day the fry split in three groups:
Bottom front left and right of the aquarium, and a buch around dad.
At night they are all around dad. I now can see the eyes of the fry.

So far this is following Carol Roberts post on ''Hatching timeline"

Willie
11-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Isn't it great!

Next time, change the tank background to white and the frys will attach within 24 hours.

Willie

Danse
12-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the tip Willie, will do.

I moved them to another aquarium.

All going well so far.

I do two 25% water changes per day.

Feed them
BBS, shaved bloodworms, Crushed TetraMin and ColorBits.

Jarrod
12-21-2005, 10:27 AM
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! congrats Danse!! keep us all updated..love to hear about success stories!:balloon:
Jarrod

CAGE-RATTLER
12-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Congrats ......... i also cant wait till im in a similar situation.

cobaltblue
12-21-2005, 05:50 PM
how exciting. Way to go. Is this your first time with babies or have you done this before with discus? Keep up the pictures, it very educational seeing the different sizes and stages of growth.:)

Danse
12-21-2005, 06:05 PM
how exciting. Way to go. Is this your first time with babies or have you done this before with discus? Keep up the pictures, it very educational seeing the different sizes and stages of growth.:)

This is the first time, and would have never got to this stage without this site.

cobaltblue
12-21-2005, 06:09 PM
yeah its all new to me as well. I now have a second pair spawning. Too bad i dont have enough tanks for them both though. I have eggs in my breeding tank that were just laid last night. I think they are going white though. I have a new pair in my 90g tank that laid eggs two days ago now, and only 5 eggs are white, the rest are still brown. When do you get wigglers..i will have to re read the posts on timelines....good luck to you with yours.

Danse
05-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Here is an update, This one does not look at all like there parents.

I purchased a bunch of Discus, quaranteen them for some 6 weeks all was fine. When I added them to my main tank many of my old discus became sick and lost 4,and unfortunately lost the mother.

All my stock was North American bred, all the new ones were Aisian bred, wonder if that had anything to do about it.

Went down south in Feb. on vacation when I got back my son informed me that I only had four fry left.

After these set backs all is back to normal.

billeagan
05-12-2006, 12:35 PM
It looks like they are coming along nicely!!

yeomans
05-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Congrats on your first suscesful spawning