PDA

View Full Version : Phosphates

satty
11-23-2005, 10:13 AM
helo people,
Can you educate me about the harmful effects of elevated phosphates in planted tank other than its fostering algae growth.any effect on plants and fishes in particular?
Cheera

nacra99
11-23-2005, 11:12 AM
As far as i know, elevated phosphate levels have no obvious effect on fish. But it sure helps the plants grow well in a planted tank.

gators111
11-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Too much phosphate could cause an algae outbreak. But if you have an established planted tank, the higher plant species should out compete the algae for nutrients. Also, I noticed in my tank early on before I had to go with RO, that mine had cloudy eyes, but then my phosphate levels were so high the AP phosphate test vial turned black and stained the pyrex, instead of any shade of blue. I live in central fla, phosphate capital of the world, so all the water is loaded with it. At first I used phos-ban which helped, and cleared up their eyes, but then with water changes, it was a never ending cycle. So I switched to RO and haven't worried about it since.

satty
11-23-2005, 12:55 PM
what is the safe reference range for phosphates and what do you mean by higher plant species?

AFTICA
11-24-2005, 08:12 AM
Planted Tank General Guidelines

Nitrates 10-20ppm

Phosphates 1.0-2.0 ppm

Iron 0.1-1.0 ppm

Potassium 10-20 ppm

For Discus keep the Nitrates on the low end of that - say 8 - 12 ppm

walk23
11-24-2005, 11:18 AM
In a planted tank the need to keep phosphates low are important but not extremely. Mine run between 5 and 15 ppm. The thing to do is control algae with light exposure and find fish that help control algae. Siamese algae eaters or octiligus or albino plecos work for me. My lighting is timed for about 9 hrs. Hope this helps. Also by doing frequent water changes you keep things stable and the fish adjust to it. I change water about 30 % everyday or every other day and the fish and plants do nicely.
Kevin :angel: