PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP as now getting cloudy eyes - I'm spent

traco
11-25-2005, 03:47 PM
I have been dosing with Quick Cure for parasites - see attached link.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=46009

This is Day 9 of dosing and there is no improvement. They are starting to show more spots, flashing and twitching all fins and I just noticed this morning that there are some fish who are getting cloudy eyes.

I am doing 80% water changes, same temp, add 2 capfuls of Prime, not aged. PH does not fluctuate much, maybe .2 (if that) in 24 hours, I have a hard time reading the color chart - not much difference between tap and tank, that's why I said ".2".

Also found a tapeworm yesterday.

I don't know what else to do. I'm doing water changes daily, wiping down walls, airlines, heaters, rinsing sponges in used tank water, lots of filtration, have tried high salt, high temp, Furan 2, Quick Cure.

Should I be doing another water change to get the medicine out? Is this maybe causing the cloudy eye with so many days of treating? Their respiration is good, appetite is okay, turds are dark.

I'm pretty much spent.

Kindredspirit
11-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Hey Woman~

I feel for you I do, Barb...And we know i can not help you! Hang in there, okay? A tapeworm, huh? Only one? How do they get tapeworms...? I know that dogs get them from fleas, but....and cats from fleas and rodents....Do you feed live anything?

Pm me if ya wanna vent!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_204v.gif

Marie~

candyl70
11-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey Barb,
I'm really sorry to hear that the meds aren't working. I don't know if you should stop treating with the meds yet, but i know that prazipro works for tapeworms.

Just hang in there Barb, i know you are frustrated, but hopefully we will get this figured out and fast. Try to pm Brew and see what he says.

Candy

ronrca
11-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Barb, whats your nitrite lvl btw?

Also, cloudy eye. What does it look like?

Here is a link perhaps to see what can be cloudy:
http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/fish_diseases/eyes.html

kaceyo
11-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi Barb,
Don't get spent, at least one of the problems is the med your using wont do anything to worms. On your previous thread you said you'd found the worm and were told to use prazi for tape worms. I'd stop the quick cure if your fish are getting worse and maybe try Parasite Clear which kills internal and external parasites and has Prazi in it. I get very frusterated too when treating sick fish. Trying to decide which med, if and when to move on to another med, etc etc. The best you can do is read up on the symptoms and the meds being recommended so you start to get a clear picture of options. Meanwhile, try somthing new that kills tapeworms and maybe an antibiotic. HTH

Kacey

traco
11-25-2005, 06:38 PM
I've been checking my ammonia and nitrIte levels daily while dosing the Quick Cure. They are showing 0 here and I just double checked now using a new kit and my old ammonia kit, still shows 0. My nitrAtes are 20?? Bare bottom wonder why high?

One of the fish has a haze on top of his pupil. There are a couple of others who have a haze over the whole pupil. That link I went to I would say B, C, D for symptoms.

No scratches on the fish are showing a bacterial or fungal symptom.

Is it the Quick Cure which is doing this?

Should I do another huge water change and not add the Quick Cure this time?

ronrca
11-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Sounds like bacteria Barb! Id also go with an antibacterial med with raised temp of 32C for 7 days.

traco
11-25-2005, 07:00 PM
I know this med won't kill worms but not knowing anything about meds and what to dose with what or what NOT to combine is scary.

I had originally dosed with Furan 2, double dose daily, for 8 days and did nothing. Gave them a rest and then started them on the Quick Cure, Day 9 today.

When I originally took pics and posted, thought it was bacterial or fungal, although I never saw it looking fuzzy or sore, hence the Furan dosing. This did not eradicate the spots.

Can I put in medicine for tapeworms and also something for the cloudy eye? Should they get a rest from meds? I'm lost.

ronrca
11-25-2005, 07:07 PM
I know what you mean. If in doubt, dont mix meds.
Id leave the tapes for now and help the cloudy eye if your concerned about mixing.

traco
11-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Thanks, all. :o

ronrca, I figure the worms are low man on the totem pole. They are still fat and eating fine so I can wait a bit before dosing for worms. The meds, I don't know, I've PM'd and am just waiting.

I'll let you know how things are going and what I'm doing next?

ronrca
11-25-2005, 07:22 PM
:thumbsup:

Elcid
11-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Hi Barb:

Sorry to get in on this so late, seems like you have the top stars helping you so I thought there is no need to chime in. But anyway I do have one suggestion, regardless of what course you choose, always maintain salt during treatment. Umm, I would put about 2 cups of salt in that tank.

Good luck,
Sandeep

kaceyo
11-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Barb,
It is scary, I know. The Quick Cure should have pretty much killed your biofilter by now. I'm surprised your not showing ammo on your tests. If it were me, I'd stop the Quick Cure. How much waer are you changing at a time? I wouldn't go higher than 50% without aging. It does sound like you have a couple of problems going on. If you have carbon, use it to clean the meds out. Do at least two 50% w/c's a day. Are they scratching or flashing? What are the symptoms other than the spots? If there aren't any, I'd go with clean med free water for a couple of days. Have you been adding salt?

Kacey

traco
11-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Hi all

No I haven't been adding salt as they had just had a high course of 1 tablespoon per gallon for a week and so to give them a break. I don't have any but will go out right now and get some.

I have been doing 80% water changes daily which is the most I've done at a time. Before, I was doing 50%. Both percentages I was going straight from the tap to tank. They don't flash after a water change, they hide but come out after I've finished getting my hands in the tank.

I have some carbon and will do a water change, add the carbon and add salt - 90 gallon tank.

traco
11-25-2005, 09:49 PM
I did a 50% water change, added 18 tablespoons of salt and put one pouch of carbon in the HOB filter. Enough carbon? Enough salt?

Will do another water change in the morning.

Elcid
11-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi Barb:

When you change the water do you also squeeze out your sponges? Please don't forget to do that, it's very important ! Squeeze them in a bucket of your tank water (a couple of clean bucket fulls). Since you have had your fish a fairly long time they should be used to your water. You don't necessarily need ammonia in your water for you fish to feel unhappy. Discus are a lot like children - they need a lot of hand holding; you have to sit with them when they feel sick and it will help them recover sooner! I often have sat in front of a tank of sick fish for hours and when they see me they feel a bit better believe me! :) Soon, they are on the road to recovery!

goodluck,
Sandeep

kaceyo
11-26-2005, 02:06 AM
How long ago was the week on heay salt? Your right in that you don't want to go too long with alot of salt without a break. If you can, do more frequent smaller wc's. 50% is OK but 80% straight from the tap might be stressful. Doing that big a wc from the tap will strip some of the slime from them. It sounds like they aren't in immediate danger. Give them a break with lots of clean water and let one of the guru's know whats up. Hopefully they will be more helpfull. Get the best educated guess you can.

Kacey
P.S. Use carbon for 24hrs then remove it.