PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Arlington, VA

georgiadawgger
11-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Hey folks! Just wanted to drop a short introduction! There are a couple familiar names here that I've noticed (Cheers Shalu).

Right now I'm in the process of reading up a bit and gathering info on getting a planted discus tank set up. Right now I have a 65g planted tank that is cranking.

I'll probably be lurking for a while to gather up some more info before the questions start to flow...

Here's what the tank is currently being run at...if there are any comments and suggestions on how to modify this for a more discus friendly environment, that would be helpful.

65g, pressurized co2 (45 ppm during day, off at night)
Filtration: Eheim 2026, Eheim 2213
Tons of plants...which will obviously have to be thinned out or rearranged to provide more swimming/open space.
192w PC lighting.

Tap water: Ah, the glory of the Potomic River..aka. Cess Pool. Nitrates = 10, PO4=5+

Ferts: A modified version of Tom Barr's EI; 1/4 teaspoon KNO3 on water change day and on Wed...maintains stable 20 ppm NO3; no PO4 dosing; 1/2 teaspoon K2SO4 on waterchange day; 1/2 teaspoon MgSO4; micros: plantex 15 mL/day

Thanks!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/edjhee/102305frontSmall.jpg

bottombare
11-28-2005, 12:40 PM
hi your tank looks great.

flofish05
11-29-2005, 01:04 AM
that is a nice looking planted tank...can I come over and take a look at your set up...I am in the process of setting up a planted tank also...

Thanks!

georgiadawgger
11-29-2005, 10:37 AM
that is a nice looking planted tank...can I come over and take a look at your set up...I am in the process of setting up a planted tank also...

Thanks!

Thanks!

Sure...are you in the area? Shoot me a PM and we can meet up...you can give me some tips on discus and I'll give you some cherry shrimp!

bottombare: thanks! I'm just itchin to get a planted discus tank set up someday soon...still a lot of reading/research to do!

flofish05
11-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi Georgiadawger!

If I were you I would get a few adult discus, so you don't have to feed it so often and that won't foul your water, just 1 a day is enough and you got the perfect discus environment, beautiful planted tank...do you have any discus right now? if you don't I have some discus to give you for that tank...and and you can take care of them.

I'm in MD.

georgiadawgger
11-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Georgiadawger!

If I were you I would get a few adult discus, so you don't have to feed it so often and that won't foul your water, just 1 a day is enough and you got the perfect discus environment, beautiful planted tank...do you have any discus right now? if you don't I have some discus to give you for that tank...and and you can take care of them.

I'm in MD.

Yeah, I'm definitly looking at getting a bit larger discus (4 inch??)...I obviously can't feed them 6-8 times a day! What part of MD? I'm right off the GW parkway in Crystal City (about 2 blocks from the Pentagon). If you're willing to part with the discus I'll certainly take them!! A very kind offer!

kelly&dennis
01-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi,
We live in Alexandria VA. Great looking tank.
Are a member of any of our local fish clubs?
Lots of great people, info and fish and more!

We are members of
PVAS
http://www.pvas.com

CCA
http://www.capitalcichlids.org

Let me know if you want so info.
We have gotten most of our fish at meets!
Kelly

CAGE-RATTLER
01-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Welcome aboard Georgiadawgger!

Good to see more locals on here.

Im in Baltimore myself and didnt think there was very many people on here near me ..... lol.

Your tank looks fantastic!
That will definately make a nice home for 5 or 6 adult discus.

jim_shedden
01-24-2006, 06:43 PM
welcome to simply..........gorgeous tank

Jim

sidra
01-24-2006, 08:51 PM
That is a beautiful tank. It is missing the discus though!!

Hey Kelly & Dennis! How is Frank?

Kristen