PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal Tetras, by mail?

dixiedog
11-28-2005, 11:41 PM
I want a couple dozen Cardinal tetra "dither fish" for the living room tank, and even set up a qt tank just for them, and now just my luck, there pretty much isn't a cardinal tetra for sale in all of Florida.

Any good online sources out there?

Thanks ...

Gene

Moon Stomper
11-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Greetings -

I have ordered some hardware from http://www.thatpetplace.com/livefish/ w/ excellent results. They also stock an array of tetras (http://www.thatpetplace.com/livefish/)

Ryan
11-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi Gene,

Where in Florida are you located? I saw some really nice cardinals a couple months ago at some of the LFS but they were very expensive (very large too, though).

Ryan

dixiedog
11-29-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm just south of Gainesville ... or just north of Ocala. I've been searching all the lfs's in both towns for a month, nothing doing. Even hit one place in Leesburg over the weekend.

Ryan
11-29-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm over here in Volusia County (which is very wet at the moment!). A couple stores around Daytona and Ormond Beach have had them. Any good pet stores over your way? The ones here usually are lacking.

Ryan

Alight
11-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Fosters and Smith had a sale on cardinal tetras last week. Only 1.40 each--good deal. They appear to be off sale now though. I bought 20 from them last year, and all survived the shipping, no problem. Feed them live baby brind shrimp for the first couple of weeks, and you should have no problems.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=895

These are from South Amerca. Given what happens to them in the lfs, and my luck with buying them from lfs, if you are buying any quantity of them, I'd have them shipped.

dixiedog
11-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Alas, the lfs FINALLY came through. I bought twenty, and got them still in the wholesaler's bag - where they are now floating in the qt tank.

If it ever happens again, I think I'll try Foster & Smith.

Ryan - we have the usual chain stores, and one local place called Aquatropics which isn't bad, but nothing to sing about.

gators111
11-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Cards are seasonal since they are wild caught. I'm in Lakeland and the stores around here are hit and miss in the winter, but come March they all stock em. Also, have you asked the LFS's if they would order them in for you. I've heard good things about aquatropics, especially with discus, they sound like they would special order in cards. At least it might save you some money.

dixiedog
11-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Cards are seasonal since they are wild caught.

See, now, that's what I thought - but the owner at Aquatropics said no.

He did special order them in for me, though, even if it did take three weeks.

It's a better than average store; by far the best thing going within a long ways of here. It was there I got my first pair of discus, fifteen years ago. They used to stock them back then, and sold some kickin' homemade bh mix.

Funny ... I bought those first two discus, took them home, and threw them right into my (unheated) community tank. After a couple days - when they were obviously dying - I bought a book ... and then a heater.

They lived, and I was hooked.

dixiedog
11-29-2005, 07:02 PM
PS - So, Gators ... how 'bout that FSU game???

gators111
11-30-2005, 11:23 AM
PS - So, Gators ... how 'bout that FSU game???

The only disappointing thing is we didn't get the shutout. Just greedy I guess.