PDA

View Full Version : breeding tank set up

cobaltblue
11-30-2005, 02:05 AM
I was wondering if a 25 gallon tall tank would be big enough for one breeding pair. I have a breeding cone with a lip, heater, hydro sponge...will this be ok?

ValorG
11-30-2005, 02:14 AM
I was wondering if a 25 gallon tall tank would be big enough for one breeding pair. I have a breeding cone with a lip, heater, hydro sponge...will this be ok?
yah its fine, i have mine in a 20

hexed
11-30-2005, 03:49 AM
I took a 50 gallon breeder tank and divided it in half by sealing in a piece of glass, each side is now 25 gallons. I have not had any problems breeding in them. You have everything you need. I put the sponge filters inside my 55 gallon tanks to cycle them for about a month. Then I set up that 50 gallon divided tank and put in two pairs and away they went. About 2- 2 1/2 weeks later eggs were laid and the rest was history ;)

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Frank

CAGE-RATTLER
11-30-2005, 01:13 PM
I was wondering what is more important ................. Height or length for a breeding tank and also a grow out tank?

hexed
11-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Cage,
I myself perfer my divided tank over the 30 gallon I have another pair in. One tank gives me actually two tanks :) Small enough to take care of but not big enough to have the fry get lost.
I never thought which was better I just bought what the store had in stock. I will say the fry are all over the place in my 30 gallon and the parents are constantly collecting them.
I like a 55 gallon for growouts.
Remember to keep up with water changes!
Frank

AADiscus
12-01-2005, 12:28 PM
I use 29's. They do fine in them and alot of people do use 20's.

Cage.... I prefer length instead of height. One of the reasons is that when the babies first start free swimming, alot of them will swim at the top of the water level. Also if you have to lower the water level for the fry to attach then the height is not a big deal anymore. IMO

BIGFOOT
12-01-2005, 06:22 PM
When dividing the tank are you useing clear glass? If so wouldnt that make them consantly want to fight each other thru the glass.

hexed
12-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Not really they did at first but now just a few pecks on the glass here and there. The raised fry in the tanks :)

hexed
12-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Here's the pics you asked for BigFoot

hexed
12-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Here's another

hexed
12-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Last one. Sorry they are not the best because my kitchen is full of Christmas gifts that I have to wrap :)

CAGE-RATTLER
12-04-2005, 08:21 PM
That actually gives me an idea to maybe get a 65 or 75 gallon tank and section off one end for breeding and still have an adequate size area for a grow out area.

Ive been wanting to test the waters of breeding (pun intended) and this may be a good way to go so its not that expensive and utilize a smaller space.

Whats the demensions of your 50 gallon?

Is there such an aquarium as a 65 or 75 gallon long tank? Maybe a tank 60" long? My 100 gallon is 60" but its also 21 high. 60 x 18 x 18 might just do the trick?
My thinking is if i could get a 75 long .......... i may be able to do 3 partitions for breeding with one tank.............or 1 for breeding and the larger side for grow out.

Whatcha think?

Willie
12-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Discus will spawn in almost any size tank. However, the frys are more difficult to raise in smaller tanks. So you can start in anything, but the productive pairs will do better in larger tanks.

40 breeders work best for me. I learned from Cary Strong that its better to move the parents and leave the babies. If you get a large spawn, 150 - 200 babies, they can stay in a 40 breeder for 4 - 5 weeks with daily 90%+ water changes. Removing only the parents, rather than moving the babies to another tank, is far less traumatic. Babies usually resume feeding within 3 - 4 hours after removing the parents.

40 breeders are easy the clean and hygiene is critical to control gill flukes. Its easy to wipe down the inside surface without wetting your shirt sleeves. I also like 40 breeders because my Python can get all the way inside without having to remove the top. :D I don't know how to handle W/C's with partitioned tanks.

Willie

BIGFOOT
12-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Hexed,

Thank you very much for posting the pics(nice fish too).

As to breeding tanks i like the ideal of a 75 gal(48x18x18) split into 2 sections.This works for my space allowed.

hexed
12-05-2005, 12:06 AM
My 50 gallon has two hood openings one on each side. The glass I put in is under the center support and between the two openings so it is easy to clean and really out of the way. The glass stops at the tank trim so if something happens while I am filling the tank, it overflows into the other side. My 50 gallon is also deep from front to back so I do just tilt the cover up to wipe the very top of the back wall but that's all. The tank measurements are: 36L X 18W x 18H.

I had my second spawn from my first pair on the right side of the tank and had no problem with them raising the fry, I did 2 water changes a day of 50%. It's the female on the left side who keeps eating the fry because she lays eggs constantly so she will be removed next time and the male can bring them up.

I divided the tank because I had to remove my first pair from the 30 gallon tank cause of the fry in there. I had no more tank space and it was the only option and it worked out better for me. 3 days after the move my first pair spawned again and more fry LOL.

I remove the fry from the tank (at night just before I turn off the lights) to my 55 gallon and had no problems. By morning they are eagerly waiting for food. Actually I remove all my fish from the tanks this way. I do not leave the lights on the night I move the fry and from that day on I also turn the lights off at night. I leave the miracle beams on though. I am also lucky that my water perimeters in all my tanks are exactly the same. Now that I found homes for all my juvis I now have tank space. I can also use one side or both for QT if I want to, grow out some live plants or do both with each side (can be useful if I purchase discus and live plants at the same time). I was thinking of getting some Angels and putting in there as well. But I do not know what tomorrow will bring LOL!

Jarrod
12-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Last one. Sorry they are not the best because my kitchen is full of Christmas gifts that I have to wrap :)

Frank does this mean I can expect the 90 gal I want for xmas???? LMAO :D just joking buddy...if so don't bother wrappin it for me lol

Jarrod