PDA

View Full Version : Storage water - temperature

nicholas76
12-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Gday all

just wondering

do you guys store your barrel water at the same temp as your tank?

or do you guys aim for colder temps to try and induce spawning?

Resinman
12-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Gday all

just wondering

do you guys store your barrel water at the same temp as your tank?

or do you guys aim for colder temps to try and induce spawning?

I personally heat my Storage water. But I run a central with a large heater heating the whole system and I can control my ups and downs that way. But in most regards I treat my storage like another tank and play with the temperature if i want cold water turn the heater off. If I am trying to stabilize the temperature in the system I heat it up to match. I even UV my storage water trying to aviod ant bacteria issues from the city water supply or any build up that nay occure while the storage water is sitting..

korbi_doc
12-02-2005, 03:21 PM
:D I have 3 RM tubs, use heaters in 2 of them & add minerals to the R/O water. The 3rd is just to keep the R/O going & just add to the other 2. Heat the water close to tank temp & plug the pump in...works for me for now, looking forward to using tap water in Tn...but think I may still need storage tubs to prep the water & heat it....if you need cooler water, just turn the heater off... Dottie

RyanH
12-02-2005, 03:38 PM
I don't usually heat my water but I leave a little room in the storage barrel and just top it off with scalding hot water before I change water. As long as the water it around 80 degrees or so before it goes into the tank, it's not a big deal IMO.

Greg Richardson
12-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Yes. I try best as possible to have it around same temp.

One thing that I read from many successful breeders and hobbyist is a constant theme on all forums which is stable........
PH, Temp, Clean Water, Clean Tank, Variety of Food.

Imo if one can be consistant in executing those factors one can save themselves lot of heatache.

Carol_Roberts
12-02-2005, 07:01 PM
I keep the storage water close to the same temp as the tank water

Cosmo
12-02-2005, 07:04 PM
I heat the water and stabilize the ph in my storage tanks so it's about the same temp and ph as the tank water. I also add any essential elements, prime, etc into the storage tanks rather than directly into the tank. The water is aged, aerated, and mixed for about 24hrs in the storage tanks and I always check the parameters with ph and tds meters before each WC.

The more consistency, the less stress IMO.

Jim

PS. Pics of my "aging still" in this thread
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=45615

Resinman
12-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Balance is actually the secret. But we are talking about several different things.

The answer is yes to the question if what you want to do is induce spawning. By adding cooler water to the tank you can help induce spawning.

If your goal is to maintain a spawn then the water should be as close as you can to the PH, Conductivity an Temperature because water parameter fluctuations can make the pair eat their eggs.

If you just want to grow out a tank of juviniles then the best way is to match all the parameters and change as much as you can manage on a regular basis.

Just an interesting side note. In my central I use exchange resins. One column has a nitrate resin in it that removes virtually all the nitrates and nitrites. By maintaining a ph below 7 and my filter system I have no Ammonia just a low level of Ammonium. I can go up to a year without having to do any major water changes and the older my water gets the better my fish enjoy it.

Just a different way of doing things.

:)

Cosmo
12-02-2005, 11:34 PM
How often do you have to replace and/or regenerate the resins?

Resinman
12-02-2005, 11:44 PM
The regenerating is dynamic to the load in the system. Very similiar to you doing water changes. The more fish..the more load.. the more frequently I have to rince the resins. Right now I have aproximately 1100 gallons of water and about 450 fish. Right now I rinse the nitrate column every 35-45 days with a salt solution. The process takes about 2 hours. The resins should be replaced approximately every 3-4 years depending on how you take care of them.