PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this flake food

etr63
12-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi All
the LFS here sell a flake food called aquadine. I have been useing it for all my fish. Its in dispensors in the store and you mix it your self. for Discus its a 50\50 mix of these two. I wrote down the info of each, What do you think.

Fresh water Hipro Duraflake

Ingredients: Shrimp meal, Herring meal, Krill meal, Wheat flour, Soybean meal, Fish oil, canthaxanthin, vitamin Supplements*, minerals, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodine, Zinc sulfate, Sodium chloride, Ethoxyquin.

*Vitamin supplement per pound: Vitamin A palmitate, 1700 IU; D activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3) 1600 IU, Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), 20 IU; Choline chloride, 682 mg; L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C) 270mg; Niacin, 7mg; vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin), 27mg; vitamin B1 (thiamine mononitrate), 102mg; d-pantothenic acid (calcium pantothenate), 7mg; Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL), 7mg; Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), 7mg; Folic Acid, 3.4mg; Biotin, 0.14mg.

Min crude protein 42%
Max crude fiber 5%
Min crude fat 6%
Max moisture 9%

Spirulina Duraflake

Ingredients: Herring meal, Wheat flour, Spirulina, Shrimp meal, Soybean meal, Fish oil, Marine algae, vitamin supplements*, minerals, copper Sulfate, Ferrous sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodine, Zinc sulfate, sodium chloride, Ethoxyquin.

*Vitamin supplement per pound: Vitamin A palmitate, 1700 IU; D activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3) 1600 IU, Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), 20 IU; Choline chloride, 682 mg; L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C) 270mg; Niacin; 102mg; d-pantothenic acid (calcium pantothenate), 27mg; vitamin B1 (thiamine mononitrate), 7mg; Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin), 7mg; Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL), 7mg; Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), 7mg; Folic Acid, 3.4mg; Biotin, 0.14mg.

Min crude protein 40%
Max crude fiber 4%
Min crude fat 5%
Max moisture 8%

brewmaster15
12-02-2005, 05:43 PM
I haven't about them before, but the website has some additional info...

http://www.aquadine.com/

it says the food has been forulated with the help of a well know researcher...

Dr. Robert Stickney, a respected expert in the area of aquaculture for over twenty-five years, has written, edited, or co-authored numerous books and over 100 scientific papers in the field. Much of Dr. Stickney's aquaculture research has involved determination of the nutritional requirements of fish.

Theres not alot of info on the site though, so I can't really say much else... Looks pretty good nutritionally. Do your fish like it and digest it well?

-al

Dave C
12-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Unlike most people, I find flake food to be one of the dirtiest foods going. It floats and goes down my overflows, sticks to filters and never gets removed by the fish and sticks to the bottoms of my tanks. The only thing it has going for it is that it *can* be cheap, but not always. Pellet can have the same disadvantages if you overfeed but if you don't it is much cleaner in my experience. I also believe that 40-42% protein is pretty low for flake food.

raglanroad
12-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Etr63,
That sounds like excellent food. I note that the fish product is herring meal, one of the best, and also it is usually used as a whole fish, not from scraps like some fish meal. This gives the protein much more value as food, as it is not mainly structural protein, or waste products from industry. Big difference. And krill.

Depending on which shrimp are used too. If they are high quality, then all round this food ranks very near the top of the heap of all dry foods I've checked out as to labelled ingredients.

Dave

etr63
12-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi Al, Dave C, and Dave
my fish seem to like it and have never gotten bloated from it. Its not flakes like you get with ONF 1, its like a pellet that has been flattened. They retain there shape in water and dont swell much. The fish seem to like them better than the color bits. I wish I could get my new male to eat them but it appears he has hex now. I started useing it because of the list of Vitamins. I want to check out what some of them are on the net to see how they might benefit my fish. When I used to make a BH mix I used the Spirulina Duraglake as a binder and it worked very well. It never clouded my water.
Thanks for the replies
Earl